VW/Audi/Porsche Tech This is where all the hot bitches hang out.

New Oil filter?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
VDub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Oil filter?

I believe I changed my oil filter or breather today in my MK4 GTI 1.8T? I saw a small filter that sits next to/ behind my battery....near my intake. its piping is directed down into the front of the car by the grill/where FMIC would be if I had one haha. I changed this filter/breather though, to one about double the size or less. I figure it can only mean more flow=better. (I only changed the size not the type(looks just like a small air filter)) after doing so I saw another oil filter down where the piping(of the one I replaced) leads to. its a solid oil filter/can all white in color. I am just trying to figure out what I replaced( an additional breather/filter?) and also what this will do? I know I wont be able to see or feel gains, but what will happen with this change?

thanks for the help in further learning about my engine.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:54 AM
VDub

I believe I found out what this is. I think it is an additional charge intake for my cold air intake(operates mostly on start up). says the local VW tech. either way I think it helped my boost,RPM, and response........maybe its just placebo but its awesome!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
conekiller

Sounds like the intake for your secondary air injection system. The only function is emissions, it adds air in the exhaust stream to lean it out during cold start. It make no diff in performance, but the filter will help keep trash out of your air pump.

3rd gear might not have been the best idea.

click here for more pictures
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Wait, back up.. you're wrenching on your car and you don't know what an oil filter is? For your sake, and that of anyone who owns your pile after you demolish it, please just take it to a mechanic and don't even touch the hood. That's right, don't even open it, you're brain-dead.

Ok.. ok.. maybe that was a little harsh.

Last edited by Mike431635; 02-11-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: I felt kinda bad but I still mean it.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
VDub

your right. let me just sell my car. no wait better yet i wll just give it away..... I duno but I think changing the mere size of a filter...not the type.. would yield little damage if any at all...you can save that comment for the day i put sugar in my gas tank and ask you guys if that is a good fuel booster. until then I hope the rest of your day goes better Mike43.....
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Green Lantern Corps

good lord guys can the drama go else where please...

If you're not cracking oil pans your not low
Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
VDub

not a problem.....but seriously I ask for input and I get.....brain dead.......I hope I never meet the owner of that comment....
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mike431635
Wait, back up.. you're wrenching on your car and you don't know what an oil filter is? For your sake, and that of anyone who owns your pile after you demolish it, please just take it to a mechanic and don't even touch the hood. That's right, don't even open it, you're brain-dead.

Ok.. ok.. maybe that was a little harsh.
muahs
Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by OpTiOnEeRsti
your right. let me just sell my car. no wait better yet i wll just give it away..... I duno but I think changing the mere size of a filter...not the type.. would yield little damage if any at all...you can save that comment for the day i put sugar in my gas tank and ask you guys if that is a good fuel booster. until then I hope the rest of your day goes better Mike43.....
Dude calm down. It was just because you said "I think i changed the oil filter." How dont you know if you changed the oil filter or not!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
VDub

Im wrong. I apologize to everyone.