VW/Audi/Porsche Tech This is where all the hot bitches hang out.

tiptronic not working

Old 09-16-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tiptronic not working

I just got a 99 Passat GLS a week ago or so. Anyways i noticed when i pushed the shifter over the display didn't change. and i can't shift at all. So i took my car to the dealer and they said they couldn't hook up their computer to my car cuz i have an aftermarket radio and that they were afraid that they would break it.

So does anyone know what the cause could be? and is there some european mechanic that someone could recommend me? thnx.

btw i also notice that after i drive the car for a while the center console and especially where the shifter is the area is really warm...is that normal??

any help would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited by eclipse4eva; 09-16-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:34 PM

i believe there is a switch that signals when tiptronic mode is requested. not positive on that year passats, but def the newer.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:05 AM
raising the standard

It is controlled by the TCU. I'd start with the N88, N281 or N91 solenoids. They are known to have issues in the 09a Tip.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
dabeetereater

that radio stuff is a bunch of bullshit, they can hook it up, its not gonna hurt anything, i used to work at the dealer, all it does is they can not communicate with the radio via canbus, which you doint need to do anyways,

if not you can try and get sombody with a vag com and check faults, its probably one of the solenoids in the valve body get some stuff stuck in them, have you ever had a trans service on it and how many miles are on it
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM

i just got this car a few weeks ago. so i don't know of any transmission service. the car has 108,000 miles.

does anyone know a good mechanic who works on VW's for a reasonable price?