VW/Audi/Porsche Tech This is where all the hot bitches hang out.

General tips/info

Old 07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
rocktastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General tips/info

I'm going to check out an 8v Mk II GTi -- what are the trouble spots I should pay extra attention to?

I already know the brake/clutch pedal assembly needs replacing, but I haven't driven it, so I'm not sure how bad it is.

This is going to be an autox/RR-only car, so i'm mainly just concerned w/ the mechanical things -- the interior will eventually be removed.

Any info you give would be helpful--thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 PM
farfromügen

Check to see if the heater core has been replaced, that was really the only major problem from the factory. Unless you're keen on having heat, I would just bypass it.

Are you just looking for tips/advice on what to look at for the purchase, or also for the performance/handling aspects?

EDIT: Check to see if...

the diff. rivets were replaced with the bolt kit yet.

there is still one of those nasty hydraulic front motor mounts

If you can PM me the VIN number I can give you all the factory info (what factory it was made at, and those goodies.)

Der schnellste mann im langsamsten auto

Last edited by mrnicejetta; 07-24-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:06 PM
rocktastic

Originally Posted by mrnicejetta
Check to see if the heater core has been replaced, that was really the only major problem from the factory. Unless you're keen on having heat, I would just bypass it.

Are you just looking for tips/advice on what to look at for the purchase, or also for the performance/handling aspects?

EDIT: Check to see if...

the diff. rivets were replaced with the bolt kit yet.

there is still one of those nasty hydraulic front motor mounts

If you can PM me the VIN number I can give you all the factory info (what factory it was made at, and those goodies.)
Yes, I'm asking what to look at for the purchase. Not so much performance/handling, as the suspension is going to be totally replaced and the motor is going to be left alone, at least for now.

Are the diff rivets something I need to get under the car to check?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
farfromügen

You wouldn't be able to check with the tranny on. All you could really do is ask the guy. But that would be the first thing I'd do before auto-x'ing it.

I don't know the car or the owner (so I mean no offense), but I would check to make sure it's a proper GTi. Rear discs, dual inlet downpipe, and an oil cooler(what the filter threads on to) were only on GLi's and GTi's. I've often times seen people try to pass regular 2 door Golf's as GTi's.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 PM
rocktastic

Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:30 AM
farfromügen

The rivet/bolt question I was bringing up because of the auto-x. I've gone through a number of trannies even with stock power.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 AM
farfromügen

The majority of the time I don't even go past 3k. Most of the times I've had problems were when downshifting (and yes into the proper gear/ RPM). I really don't drive like an animal, yet I've still shot pinions through the bell housing, broken flywheels and pressure plates into 3+ pieces, and broken diffs loose a few times.

By no means am I trying to turn this in to a debate. I agree with with you for the most part.

Robofunc- Just take your time shifting... not necessarily double clutching, but atleast two seperate movements (gear to neutral, neutral to gear) until you get a feel for how she likes to be shifted.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:47 AM
rocktastic

Thanks both of you for the info—this is useful stuff.

The car has had some performance mods—a mystery clutch, cams, chip. I know it's been driven hard, but it's going to be a track slut/project that myself and two others are going in-on, so if something breaks we can afford to wait and fix it right. If the tranny's still got rivets, I might bolt it just for the sake of longevity. 3+ drivers @ as many autox events as we can make means lots of abuse, so bullet-proofing is the first step.

I don't know about the pedal assembly—this was just given to me as a possible reason for the "bad" clutch feel, although I'm sure the clutch/transmission could just as easily be at fault.

Still haven't checked-out or driven it yet, but hopefully it'll be good enough for what we want.