TRShop Reviews Reviews of service provided (good or bad) by local shops. Keep it factual and honest people, no flaming, no posting personal details and keep it ontopic.

Pete Stop is not the shop

Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Pete Stop is not the shop

Gave these guys all the benefit of the doubt I could. All-in-all I sunk over $2k into this shop fixing issue after issue that magically appeared, only after being in their hands, and not ever seen in the two and a half years of owning the car (snapped shifter cable, severe oil leak (went from none to losing 2 qts in a week after they did the header install), throttle position/timing issue (causes the throttle to have a "sticking" point but its all electrical related), the list of small annoying things goes on.

Primary focus:
After I continued to pour several hundred here and there into this shop, for some reason I just refused to believe that this shop was dishonest and/or incapable of quality work. I had them replace my timing belt/water pump as a preemptive service since I was getting close to 60k miles at the time and I really really really didn't want to have the timing belt break and be out of a motor (hyundai 2.7L v6 is an interference motor ie timing belt breaks while the engine is running and your valves are done for). Less than two weeks later of casual cruising I started hearing a noise from under the hood and within several hours my engine seized while driving. They claim the belt had come off because of a malfunction with my tensioner. I guess it decided to malfunction right after switching belts? Had them put in a used motor which of course I had to pay for (Another unnecessary $1700). The shop had it for a week and when I got in to test drive the speedometer didn't even work. They claimed my last speed sensor was broken all to pieces (uhhh how?) so they charged me for that too. It's very clear here that they didn't even test drive the car after swapping the motor out which is pretty scary.
This is a prime example of how this shop works. They throw things together as quickly as possible and take absolutely no accountability for their work. Why would they? It's toothless Bob destroying your car in the garage in the back not them. This place is really sketchy. And it's the first shop I worked with where I had been offered (practically begged actually) a discount in price ($745 -> $700) for bringing cash instead of writing a check or charging credit.
I took the car to my local mechanic and after doing a full inspection under the hood he said the way the new motor looked to be installed was the equivalent of medical malpractice. He told me its amazing I was able to drive the car for over a week with the amount of loose/missing bolts he found.
In the end it's my fault for falling into their trust traps. Touche Pete Stop.

Lesson:
They have great prices, but it adds up very quickly when your car spends more time here than in your hands.. not to mention if you take your car here for any kind of service, guarantee yourself a victim of classic nickel and dimming. Maybe just stick with their cheap nitrous and dyno rates.