Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

1991 MR2 turbo

Old 06-26-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 MR2 turbo

Starting to research my next (used) car. So far, in my family's experience, Toyota has proven itself time and again. I'd like to get into mid drive roadsters as well. My other requirement is that I'd like the car to have forced induction. The answer to all these criteria seems to be the 91 MR2 turbo. Anyone have any opinions of the second gen MR2 in general? Are the 2nd gen MR2 turbos difficult to find? Consistent problems?

Earlier model MR2 with supercharger is also an option...

Thanks for any advice or thoughts you can offer,
Chris

Last edited by galleon; 06-26-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:38 AM
THE HAMMER

Finding good condition MR2 Turbos for a good price is nearly impossible...... if u want one tommorow.. Give yourself a few months to 6 or more months to wait for the perfect one. My friend did it and was worth it.. Spend that time learning about the car. There arent any really major things wrong with the MR2T, just some annoying things like the hose from hell (a pain in the ass to replace 6 dollar hose but toyota will charge you almost a grand), or the fact that you go through tires REALLY fast. But these are just things u have to learn to deal with in a performance car..

ITS WORTH IT..

Just wait for MR2Driver to come on... hes had several successful mr2's into the 12's on stock turbos and is currently doing more crazy shit..
Old 06-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Anti-Flag

Your best bet is going to be getting a 93T or above . They come with a better tranny , some having LSD , Better brakes , redesigned rear suspension to help reduce dive during braking and toe-out during hard cornering .

If your reasons for looking for a 91 involve price you would probally be better getting a 93N/A and then just doing a Turbo swap . 93 N/A's can be had for 6K and above and a Gen2 JDM clip is going to be about 2500 . The motor swap is fairly straightfoward .

You could also just look for a 93T . I found one not to long ago FS from a Lady Fitness instructor . Very clean 105k miles . No Mods .

Thats probally the best thing when looking for a used Turbo . No mods will show hopefully the car hasnt received damage that occured during the time it was owned .

You could also just run a 91 N/A that can be found very cheap . like 1500-3500 for one that would probally run but would have some body damamge like dings and crappy paint but is still mechanically sound . Just get a 93+ Clip and swap the brakes and Suspension over direct rebolt in .

Hope that helps . If youw ant any info on the SC model let me know I owned one and most of my amassed know;edge is on the 1st generation MR2 .

If your going to post , please fucking think before you start talking out of your ass !
Old 06-27-2003, 12:47 PM
not available

Just like AW11 Drfiter says. If money is an issue, you can find a 91 pretty cheap. More than likely it is going to be in pretty rough shape. The MR2 is an expensive car to own. Parts are very expensive, and modifying costs a good amount too. If money is not an issue, try and find a 93 or newer, they are just a much better car overall. And usually taken better care of because of their higher cost.