Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Sc400 whobble when going straight at high speeds.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 AM
Android Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 whobble when going straight at high speeds.

I have this weird issue with my Sc400 (stock 1uzfe and auto tranny). When driving straight at mid to high speeds (60-80) I get this weird whobble effect. This isn't the normal bad wheel bearing whobble, but it feels like the rear end is sliding suddenly left or right. It isn't sliding far or anything, just centimeters left or right, but in the cabin of the car you feel like you're drifting for a second. The wheels are not breaking traction or anything, no noises are heard when this happens, and it only happens when going straight while going higher than 50mph. In corners the steering wheel has a slight bit of lag or play before the car starts the initial turn, but in the turn, it's completely solid. I need to replace the power steering pump as it leaks when it gets cold, and possibly the steering rack, but is that what's causing this problem? I'm not sure if the description of the issue will help or not. The best way I can describe it, is like if you are riding a motorcycle and lean to the left or right enough to feel off balance and then jerk it back to the other side to stay up, that's kind of what it feels like.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Android Junkie

Update: I've noticed that this is happening a lot on rougher roads at about 30mph. I've also determined that when I accelerate, it will "shift" left, and deceleration will "shift" right. It feels like the body of the car is pivoting left and right during this, simulating a sliding feeling. I took the right front wheel off to look for any obvious issues as well as the rear left. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I was checking out the rack and pinion setup and it looks simple enough to get to. I'm going to call around to some junk yards and see how cheap I can get a replacement for. Rebuilt units around roughly 350ish on ebay at the moment. Any recommendations on how to do this or if this is even the issue? I have a decent amount of play in the steering wheel as is and it pulls hard to the right so I think all that needs to be replaced. I have a new power steering pump already.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM

sounds imo like a worn out bushing or a broken mount in the rear somewhere you really need to jack the car up and check the whole rear of the car out..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Android Junkie

Okay, thanks for the input. I'm going to do that tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Android Junkie

I jacked the rear end up and looked around but didn't see anything obviously worn out. Anything specific I should look at?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM

gonna have to grab each part and try to move them your talkin about alot of stress at those speeds so I would proly look more at subframe mounts. you may even have to grab a pry bar and lightly pry on parts to see if they are moving. This is all if the accual play is in your rear end jack up the front of the car and grab the tire and see if you have any play in the bearings or tie rod ends. Any unsal tire ware on any of the tires inside or out?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Android Junkie

I'm going to take it into a garage and see if they can give me a free estimate just to find out whats broke. I don't like the idea of prying under the car while on jack stands. I've been looking at some battle version suspension parts to replace the worn out stock stuff with.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Android Junkie

Tire wear is uneven, but I have stock supra suspension according to the previous owner.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Take it to Firestone any tech should be able to drive it put it up in the lift and check for play in the suspension as part of a free courtesy check.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Android Junkie

Just got back from Firestone a little bit ago and it looks like it's the rear right traction link. I ordered some stuff from battleversion and I'll finally have this problem fixed, hopefully next week. Thanks guys. I'll post up some pics when I get the parts installed.

Quick Reply: Sc400 whobble when going straight at high speeds.