Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

AE86 Help Plz

Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AE86 Help Plz

Car is a 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS with a 4AGE

Car starts with a bit of hessitation once its running it idles nicely between 1100 and 1500 but as soon as we drop the idle to 700-800ish it wants to die out.

we played with the dizzy alot and it seems the perfect timing is between teeth its fully retarded on one tooth or fully advanced one tooth back and i belive its 5 degree's advanced for it to run nicely.

when the car is running and you punch the throttle quickly it wants to stall but if u put the throttle on slowly it revs up nicely

Dry compression is good #1-155psi #2-160psi #3-170psi #4-170psi

the car is it failed aircare in 2006 due to a gas cap failure, the seller was a younger kid, the guy i bought it from told me the fuel pump had been changed aswell as the fuel filter, the throttle body also appears to have been changed.

the story i was given was that it drove but it was slowly loosing power then the old owner let his friends drive the car and it died, he had it towed back to his place and it sat there for a year while he tried to figure it out. as i said above, he said the fuel pump was replaced, which unless he is a mircle worker with a screw driver it aint gonna happen, them screws are so old and corroded on there im scared to take them off. what i think happened is he bought the car couldnt figure out what was wrong with it fiddled with a bunch of crap and gave up, according to the aircare slip it failed in early 2006and the insurance was up

sorry for the complete back ground im really at a loss every time we think we figured out whats wrong with it we find sumthing else that says its not it and we're back to square 1 again

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Memorix

Did you check the plugs, distributor? I sounds like a fuel problem though check your injectors to make sure they are clean
www.myspace.com/azantro
Old 06-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Version 5

I would focus less on fuel pump, fuel filter - after you check fuel is flowing.... check out your distributor and plugs, obviously. But i imagine its rooted in your iac or that different distributor...any changes in behavior when motor is cold vs. warm?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 PM

ya when the cold idle drops to the warm idle is when it starts to get choppy also its harder to start when the motor is warm