Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

deciding what to do.....suggestions?

Old 10-06-2007, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deciding what to do.....suggestions?

Well I have decided that I want to do away with this engine that currently has 170k on the clock and start fresh.

I got a quote for 3500 for stock rebuilt 7mgte and installation into my car. I like that it would keep the same engine that was meant for my car but the bads about that engine is the parts will eventually I think within 5 or so years become extremely rare or non existant to find.

For 3500 and maybe a little more savings I could throw a 1jz in there and not have the problems of the BHG for the 7m BUT I'm not too confident with exactly how much aftermarket support the 1jz has. I have found out that some shops won't even touch a 1jz.

On the other hand there is the 2jz. I mean hey if I saved up 3500 bucks I might as well save up more and get a 2jz thing going for my car. I like the potential power these engines can handle and with not much supporting mods. The cost however of everything needed and install is crazy though and would talke A LOT of patience and the car sitting, not to mention getting everything in the car compatable with the engine as well.

As you can see I'm having a hard time deciding. Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 AM
RIP Kevin

I'm assuming the rebuilt motor will have a metal headgasket and ARP studs correct? There are SOLUTIONS to the "problems" with the 7M. I don't understand why people don't research into it. The answers are all out there and proven for big horsepower. The "almighty" 1JZ isn't always problem free either. Any motor has it's flaws in one way or another. Bottom line is that if you're going to upgrade any motor in any car, you have to be ready to break something. "You've gotta pay to play"

You want a 2JZ in the car? Be ready to spend a LOT more than 3,500
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 AM

I know that.....its around 10k for the 2jz.

The 7m should I go that route will have MHG and ARP studs for the head but I have to pay extra for that so it will prolly be more along the lines of 3800-4000 route.

I would keep the 7m indefinately if the parts for it will stay around for a long time. Being that its an 87, I'm thinking within the next 5-10 years the parts will be extremely hard to find if not obsolete in that you CAN'T find the parts anymore.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:29 AM
RIP Kevin

Parts like what? The thing isn't 50 yrs old
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 AM

Just any parts for it. My big fear is that the parts are going to become non existant and then guess what.....no more supra since you cant find parts for it.

Like the TPS. I need new screws for it and went to almost every place I could think of to match up the screws and nothing. Clearwater Toyota has them on backorder and that's going to be like 2 weeks prolly IF they can get them at all since they have a limited supply.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:54 AM
El Tee Juan x2.... IDIOT!

if you are worried about parts replacement then have all that stuff replaced BEFORE you drop in the motor. no sense pulling it again later to do somehting you could have had done in the first place... i dont think you are going to run into many problems sourcing parts for a 7m as opposed to a japanese only engine. junkyards and ebay are goldmines
Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 AM
RIP Kevin

Parts cars are EVERYWHERE! Like Silver said.............If you want it done right, do everything while the motor's out.

Water Pump
Thermostat
Check/Replace Timing Belt
Misc Gaskets
Int/Exh Gaskets
Various Hoses

Everything else bolt on is usually available aftermarket I.E. Radiator, Intercooler piping, etc...

Things like TPS's and CPS's are usually widely available anywhere.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 AM

Yea I basically wanted to start with a fresh motor meaning EVERYTHING that can possibly be replaced for the most part. I might even drop some more money for some forged internals as well while its out.

I dunno. I'm paranoid as a puppy about this car for things going wrong so I needed to vent a little too lol.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 AM
RIP Kevin

Just so you know....Your $3,500 is quickly turning into a 7-8K dollar job
Old 10-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Only if I decided to go forged internals. I'll more than likely do that later. Right now I just want the Supra to drive well.