Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

90 pickup 3VZE misfiring/bucking/stalling ?

Old 04-08-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 pickup 3VZE misfiring/bucking/stalling ?

I just bought a 90 v6 SR5 4wd ext.cab truck, and after starting it up for a couple of minutes, the CEL came on, and after a short drive, the car started to buck and sounded like it was misfiring or not getting spark on all 6 cylinders,poped the hood open, found out that the distributor bolt wasn't tight and that i was able to move it around by hand about 1 1/2 inches either way. So i figured that it's a timming issue and parked the car and was afraid to drive it, came back with a friend afterwards, except this time the moron forgot his 12mm wrench, so we tightened it down using a pair of pliers, truck did the same thing as before, except the CEL went away for a minute or 2 after coming on. I'am wondering if this distributor issue sounds like it's directly related, and if this would cause a CEL. Oh, and where can i get any pc scanning tools for our trucks ? Serial cable? Software ? The cvs(axles) are also shot and click when i put it in 4wd and try and turn either way (fine if i leave it in 2wd though).

Thanks in advance
Old 04-08-2006, 12:58 PM

take the bottom bolt off your fuel filter and watch the coffee run out...lol,just a possibility...happened like that to my mr2 recently...got some bad gas on the way to Tenn...I don't think it's a spark issue just cuz your dizzy was loose...if the cap was loose that'd be different or if the rotor was broken...
Old 04-08-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by christo4_99
take the bottom bolt off your fuel filter and watch the coffee run out...lol,just a possibility...happened like that to my mr2 recently...got some bad gas on the way to Tenn...I don't think it's a spark issue just cuz your dizzy was loose...if the cap was loose that'd be different or if the rotor was broken...
Well the cap was cracked from the bottom half because i got a nice shock . And the CEL poped up, so i was wondering how a bad fuel filter would trip a CEL? I will definetely change that out though. Fuel filter in my old 240sx (when it had the stock KA) was really cruddy and you could just see the sluge come out of it as i was pulling it out and replacing with a new one, but it didn't see it effect it to this extent.