Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

MK3 tail light problem

Old 12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
the base production unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK3 tail light problem

i just got my new motor put in and in less than 500 miles later the tail lights do not work. they turn on when my brake is applied but not when i have the headlights on. all other lights/markers work, all the bulbs are brand new and i checked the fuses. nothing seems out of the ordinary. there is a box wired into the left rear light i am guessing is what controls the you've got a burnt out bulb in the gague cluster. this has happened in my formula as well and and has not been fixed yet either. any suggestions on what is causing the problem and how to fix this?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:49 AM
the base production unit

nevermind, the problem seems to be a short in the little box i was talking about
Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Really? I'll have to examine that as I have the same problem...no tailights, no backups either, but brake lights work. The "no back up lights" is just because the previous owner never reconnected the backups when swapping over to manual though

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 PM
the base production unit

yea it is an expensive "dealer" part. i went to the junkyard and found one intact and swapped the circuit board inside. mine had a hole burnt in it but some i was told are fortunate enough to just melt the solder off the connections which are repairable