Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Celica Drifter?!?!

Old 10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
i need a job... and a new

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Celica Drifter?!?!

im wanting to build a 1990 Celica GT (JDM 3S-GTE swap) drift car....who thinks i can do it? and if ya believe in me, give me some hints i know this isint going to be the easiest (or cheapest) thing to build but im up for it so tell me what ya'll think
Old 10-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Rey
Banned

ummmmmmmmmm no! unless you plan on making it RWD....
Old 10-15-2005, 10:45 AM
THE HAMMER

Well, the celica GT is a FWD vehicle. FWD has not in the past been the easiest way to make a competitive drift car.

Just think of it this way. ALL of the cars in D1 are RWD, there have not been any D1 cars of AWD, FWD, or MR that have qualified to compete in the series. These are people with insane budgets. In Formula D in the USA, there are no MR, AWD, or FWD competitors. These are people with 100-200K / year budgets. At local events, ive only seen 1 fwd car (that autocrossed the track) and 2 AWD cars with disconnected front diffs....

Which brings me to what you MIGHT be able to do. It may be possible to do an entire alltrac drivetrain and then disconnect the front diffs to make an RWD car.. However, personally I feel this is a huge waste of money, puts a large ammount of strain on the drivetrain, and generally wouldnt be good bang for the buck.

You may want to go check out the Drifting forum for their ideas and success/failure stories of FWD and AWD cars. I would be willing to bet that the best ratio of money/performance for drifting would still be in an AE86 w/a 4agze or MKIII supra turbo with some basic boltons from a power perspective.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Kung Fu comes standard™

Originally Posted by Slash
Well, the celica GT is a FWD vehicle. FWD has not in the past been the easiest way to make a competitive drift car.

Just think of it this way. ALL of the cars in D1 are RWD, there have not been any D1 cars of AWD, FWD, or MR that have qualified to compete in the series. These are people with insane budgets. In Formula D in the USA, there are no MR, AWD, or FWD competitors. These are people with 100-200K / year budgets. At local events, ive only seen 1 fwd car (that autocrossed the track) and 2 AWD cars with disconnected front diffs....

Which brings me to what you MIGHT be able to do. It may be possible to do an entire alltrac drivetrain and then disconnect the front diffs to make an RWD car.. However, personally I feel this is a huge waste of money, puts a large ammount of strain on the drivetrain, and generally wouldnt be good bang for the buck.

You may want to go check out the Drifting forum for their ideas and success/failure stories of FWD and AWD cars. I would be willing to bet that the best ratio of money/performance for drifting would still be in an AE86 w/a 4agze or MKIII supra turbo with some basic boltons from a power perspective.

+1, and i heard that the regular celica do not have all the required sheet metal to do the awd swap, and also lack the structual reinforcement to handle awd. but that's just what i heard, don't put it heart
Old 10-15-2005, 03:31 PM
(oYo)

if u want to but its boring and u wont really progress with it. u need rwd

Time rushes towards us with its hospital tray of infinitely varied narcotics, even while it is preparing us for its inevitably fatal operation
Old 10-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Feel teh rally bishes!

They are right. You need alot more horespower to drift a fwd. If you wanna drift a celica find a decent 1st gen and set that up. Either that or a rolla. If you want more info for 3s in your fwd celica check out celicatech.com. They are alot of people that have done the swap and can answer all your questions about it. I my self have 2

1992 GTS 3sgte from hell! // 1990 GT liftback Stock 3sgte