Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

my fx 16 popping out of 5th gear

Old 09-25-2005, 06:59 AM
The lost pony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my fx 16 popping out of 5th gear

I am rebuilding my motor and have the motor and tranny out I was told there are some shift forks or something that needs replaced. does anyone know what parts and where to get them ?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:11 AM
yea sweet lemonade

just get the tranny rebuilt by a tranny shop or put in another one. trannies are complicated and you prolly don't want to mess with it on your own.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:46 AM
The lost pony

this is the second time this has happened and I am not paying a tranny shop to fix it I am gonna fix it myself the tranny is out and I have rebuilt several trannies before I just need to know where to get this upgraded part and what it is called. it is in the outer part of the trans. where the shifter hooks up. last time I had someone I know swap the tranny at 100k and the tranny we put in was out of an mr2 so we had to swap shift arm when we took it off of the fx tranny that is when we discovered the bad part.the tranny does not need to be rebuilt. just some new teflon peices.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:36 PM

It's popping out of fith because of a worn gear or slider. You can still order the parts from toyota. The fork and (or) the detent spring and ball do not really keep it in gear. Hachibill is right, unless you have the fith gear puller you are not going to do it yourself.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:35 AM
The lost pony

thanks I am gonna open it up and look and see if it is the same thing as the first time or not