Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

MK3 shortshifter

Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 PM
TRG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK3 shortshifter

Someone told me about a short shifter for the mk3 that can be made yourself. The guy who told me was named ellie and he's one this site but i don't know his user name. He called the shifter a sobi, or sogi, or something shifter and told me to go on supraforums and look it up and it would show me the parts i needed to make it. But that site is down or something so i was wondering if anyone else knew about it and could explain how to make it and the parts needed.
-thanks

Old 07-24-2005, 04:43 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

SOGI, sites been down for a long time and roughly 1/2 the people that do it regret it. Its not worth it most of the time

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-24-2005, 04:48 PM
TRG

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
SOGI, sites been down for a long time and roughly 1/2 the people that do it regret it. Its not worth it most of the time
why do they regret it and is not worth it

Old 07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Vendor/Advertiser

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
Most people that do it dont regret it, it depends on how you do it. Supra3g basically you remove the shifter, use a pipe cutter to shorten it, then get it rewelded.... thts the way I did mine. Most people just remove the outer casing for the shifter, cut it down, and rethread it. Once you take it apart you will see what I am talking about.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Eh..I've seen enough people that dont think it was worth it here and there, shortening the shifter isnt a necessity to me, and I'm fine with how mine is right know

That being said, I dont know how the frick you could mess that up and not do it correctly...perhaps those whom did it and regret it have an IQ of less than 80

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-24-2005, 07:14 PM
TRG

the way you explained sounds good cassio, but the guy who was explaining it to me said something about getting some toyota factory part and getting new bushings. Do you know what he'd be talking about. The one he showed me on his sup was very tight(not a lot of wiggling around) as well as short.
-thanks for input guys

Old 07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
TRG

Originally Posted by SupraKid
ummm the shifter will be shorter but the throws between gears wont.... thats one of the most ghetto mods out there
.........the shifter being shorter would allow your hand to move a shorter distance in order to move the knob from one gear to the next. The angle at which the shifter sits in each gear in relation to center consol wouldn't change but the distance from the tip of the shift knob in one gear to the tip of the shift knob in the next gear would be shorter then if it were a couple of inches higher.
v v
it can be compared to the two v's above. The angles of both v's are the same but the distance between the tips of v's are different.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:46 PM
TRG

This is how you do it
http://tampasupras.suddenlaunch3.com...num=1100066550

Old 07-24-2005, 10:13 PM
TRG

The link above explains how to make the SOGI shifter and install it........i guess i answered my own question (or Idealsupra could have pointed something out)