Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Tranny Heat MR2 T

Old 06-30-2005, 08:51 AM
SOOFIERCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Heat MR2 T

Anyone notice how much heat comes out of the shift boot during normal driving. I noticed when I removed my shift boot cause it was getting in the way of my speed shifting. Once removed, my hand started to get cooked from the heat rising from the tranny.

Is this normal?

PEACE-
Old 06-30-2005, 05:09 PM
not available

That heat is actually coming from the fuel pump. Are you running the OEM fuel pump? Oh! Also PM me if you still need that center tail light garnish. I finally found it.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:54 AM
SOOFIERCE

Default OEM Fuel Pump

I really dont know for sure, but I do know that I bought this car from a guy who only cared about keeping the car stock. So, it probrably is an OEM fuel pump. Than again, it might of been replaced by a cheaper non-toyota brand sometime in its 14 year lifespan. Who knows...

PMed'

PEACE-
Old 07-02-2005, 02:50 PM

Fuel pump? really? How can it be from the fuel pump when usually it is submerged in gas..deep inside the tank? I mean i know the wires are right there, but that cant produce THAT much heat? Can it?

I would think its just engine bay heat that has seeped past the heat shields and filled up the area above the fuel tank. I mean the pump would have to get mighty hot to feel that heat above the shifter area.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:01 AM
not available

In my old car the fuel pump would get hot after driving it hard. With my new car I have the Walbro 255 and I don't experience that problem. My guess is the stock fuel pump gets overworked and causes more heat then the walbro. The engine and transmission are a good 4 feet away from the shifter, so I doubt that is where the heat comes from.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:47 AM

Wow, thats pretty crazy that you could feel the heat though with your old pump.

I have a walbro and after very hard/long driving i can feel a little heat. But like i said, i figured it was engine heat, from the exhaust/turbo and all that seeping past the heatshields and into the fuel tank "well".

Interesting. So whats going on mark? Hows your dad doing? Does he have a new project hes working on or anything after selling the talon? Hows your car doing?
Old 07-03-2005, 08:44 PM
not available

Doing well. My dad got a 92 AWD Talon as a new project. It has a built motor, and he going with a 50 trim. MR2 is running good, going to be sanding it and painting it soon. Hopefully we'll run into each other some time soon. Sad to see you selling your car, but hoefully you get a decent coin for it.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:19 PM

Thats cool. Yeah i remember running next to him one night at bradenton with his old 11 second talon. I remember when he shifted the huge "BOOM" it would give. Made me think my car blew up or something...

Ahh....doesnt look like ill be selling the mr2 after all. I never actually listed it in autotrader or ebay or anything, just put a couple feelers up on some forums. Lots of intrest, nothing serious though. Oh well, ive decided to keep it anyway, its a damn good car and i ahve a ton or work into it. Plus im moving right now so thats no time to get into a diff project or something, ya know?

So the mr2 will still be truckin for a while, ill try to get up to one of those tampa meets again. Hopefully sometime in the next 10 years it will be tuned, lol.

Take it easy man.