Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Front Main seal

Old 06-18-2005, 11:36 AM
is doing your girlfriend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Main seal

Does anyone know what is involved in replacing the front main seal on a 22R-E motor out of a 86 pick-up? my friend has one and it leaks oil like crazy. I dont know much about Toyota motors but it appears that there is no harmonic balancer, just the pulley. How long would this take and how much would parts run? Thanks.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 06-18-2005, 06:33 PM

the front seal is mounted in the oil pump housing. all you have to do to get to it is spin off the crank pulley bolt(dissconnect your coil wire, stick a long handled breaker bar on the pulley bolt, spin the bar til its pinned on the concete, and bump the motor just once, do not spin it, bump it). then work the pulley off. there you will see your oil pump assembly. chances are if the front seal is gone, the oil pump is gone too. pull the whole assembly off. check the gears for wear and play. off the top of my head (dont quote me) the outer gear to housing play should be .2 or .3 mm, gear to gear clearance, about the same and in and out play under .2mm, .2mm for in and out is too much. if everything looks ok you'll just need the housing O ring and the front seal. but if the gears are wobbly you better replace the whole pump assembly. do not fuck around with this thing. it will kill your motor. hope that helps.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:42 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

yep, that seems to just about cover it.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:47 PM

thanks for the backup man. ill be over at 11am tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:50 PM
is doing your girlfriend

thanks for the input

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it