Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Code 71 - EGR System Malfunction

Old 03-26-2005, 09:30 PM
2JZ-GE Powered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 71 - EGR System Malfunction

ok so what exactly does this mean? My check engine light came on, I jumped the diagnosis plug to check what code it was throwing at me and I got a code 71. Look online and found out its EGR System Malfunction and that its a common code with the GS300.The code is to general for me to figure out whats wrong, almost as general as saying "Hey cars not running right.." but from what I can find out it that its either a MAF Sensor problem, cars running to rich or some exhuast problem. How exactly could I pinpoint what the problem is? And anyone else know anymore about the "EGR System Malfunction" that I missed out on?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:02 AM

I bet the people at lexus do.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:13 PM

In the case of an EGR fail code its often the EGR valve itself. Between the exhaust gas heat and the carbon they get coked up with they are often one of the first emission control items to bite the dust.

It could be something else but if I were you I would find out how much an EGR valve costs to see what kind of financial impact you are in for.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:07 PM
bad ass fonzie

there is a little thing called the egr. it recirculates exhaust gas. like 930 boy above me said, it likely has something to do with the egr. not the maf sensor, or it would likely have thrown a code for that. same for the richness, etc etc.
maybe the toyota peeps know- the tech forums are a better bet than general car chat.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Thread TERRORIST

+1 my car has it too and I'm NOT yanking that whole doodad out to scrape at it with a chisel. Easy diagnosis to figure out if its the problem. When you turn the car on, the check engine light should be off. Accelerate up to about 60 (Do it under power, but you don't have to be at WOT), and coast down to around 30. The check engine light should come on. If you don't have enough room to coast, you can lightly tap the brakes. Built up carbon fucks that shit up, ma nigga.

This worked for mine, but I've never really gotten in depth with Toyota's systems, so I'm just throwing it out as a probable. To fix it, just take it off and scrape all the black shit away that you see around the inlets. Oh, and if it gets really in depth, its only built up carbon in the main pipe if it errors on ALL solinoids, assukming you have more than 1 - again, I'm not famillar with your type of car.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote