Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

AE86 Toyota Corolla 84-87 sr5 GT-s FAQ

Old 01-15-2005, 08:19 PM
THE HAMMER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AE86 Toyota Corolla 84-87 sr5 GT-s FAQ

I'd like to start off by letting you know I've been an AE86 owner for 3 years as of this writing, I do drift my car, and I do all of my own work to it. The main focus of this article is to provide some basic information on the car, and give an idea of how to prep/maintain a sporting AE86.

When looking at an AE86: Please keep in mind that 99% will have at least some body rust. Areas to watch out for are: around the side windows, trunk pockets, rear wheel wells/rocker panel, sunroof, wiper area, gas door area and the A pillar. Remember, it's old so rust in some of these areas is acceptible. If you buy an AE86 that has body rust on any of the non removable sections please do yourself a favor and fix it immediately. Remember to shop according to your level of expertise/budget for body work.

When you do a test drive be sure to pay close attention to the gear box. Try to up/down shift at as many speeds as possible. Second gear is a big issue for any corolla GTS. If the gears have problems but the rest of the car is nice please don't get discouraged. The T50 transmission also came in the SR5 (base model coupe) of the same years. These are very common and can be had for as little as $50.00!

The GTS also shares many of it's driveline/suspension pieces with the SR5. Probably the most important GTS only parts are on the rear end. The entire rear end, rear driveshaft section, rear brakes and handbrake cables are GTS only. If any of these are broken they are VERY hard to replace due to rarity. That's about it as far as common things to look at when buying one. Good luck!

Now that you have the car:

First and foremost please try to keep in mind this is now a 17-20 year old car. Basic maintenance should be your priority. Make sure everything is working properly before you start going crazy modding the car. If you have a solidly running car as a base they can be a very reliable drifter/daily driver.

**Editors note** Make sure all plugs, plug wires, hoses, belts, and other wires are checked and replaced if needed. Do a coolant flush, tranny flush, diff flush, and oil change when you recieve the car (You never know when these have been done last). Put in new gaskets for all the flushes as well. **[/Editors note]**

Now I'll cover more specific areas of the car.

Chassis/suspension:
This is easily the most important factor in making your AE86 fun to drive. I have a philosophy when it comes to this area of the car. Mod the suspension according to what kind of driving you do and your skill level. For a daily driver I would recommend a good refresh of the stock suspension. Tokico HP and KYB gr2 are both nice shocks and are close to stock. You can use these very reliably with the stock springs. If you want to lower the car with a stock length shock that's fine but keep in mind the lower you go the more prone it will be to bottoming out. Also lowering more than an inch or so will seriously shorten the life of your shocks.

Bushings are an equally important area to take care of. You have to assume that your bushings are shot. They are kind of difficult to change without the right tools but it's an absolute must. For a daily driver I'd recommend replacing with a rubber bushing. They are less noisy and last longer than polyurethane bushings. TRD still makes a full kit out of hard rubber which is a nice balance between the two.

Alot of people right now buy these cars for drifting/autocross purposes. There are alot of different ways to set it up. I personally run a mild street/drift setup that's pretty comfortable but very responsive. I'm a big fan of having everything be adjustable. This helps when you are learning because you can try different settings and see how they affect the car's behavior.

Engine/Drivetrain:
The stock 4AGE is an excellent engine to start with. It's kind of slow by todays standards but is loads of fun to drive. Providing that your engine is in good shape I'd recommend keeping it.

There are a few things you can do without spending too much that will bring out a little more power and responsiveness. Intake and exhaust are a good way to start out. On my own car I felt a difference right away going form a stock exhaust to a 2.25"cat back. For a beginning drifter or road racer your money is better spent on suspension, brakes, tires etc. If you're ready for more power or your sport requires it (ie: drag racing) there are many aftermarket engine parts for the 4AGE and engine swaps available. I won't go into specifics here, That's what links are for...

Links/Resources: Please take a few minutes to look these sites over. They contain anything you'd ever want to know about this car.

Club4ag. A great source of AE86 information. Their tech section and forums are second to none.
http://www.club4ag.com

Bill Sherwood's page. Lots of great info on engines, racecars, etc.
http://www.billzilla.org

Battleversion. Makers of fine suspension components.
http://www.battleversion.com

T3. Lots of great parts!
http://www.technotoytuning.com

Paradise. Lots of great power upgrades.
http://www.paradiseracing.com

Toysport. One of the oldest toyota performance shops online. Tons of hard to find stuff as well as tech info.
http://www.toysport.com

Ebay. Always a great source for finding parts.
http://www.ebaymotors.com

Modified Inc. Fiber parts for your AE86. Made in the USA!
http://www.modifiedinc.com/index.html

Hachilife. They have a discussion forum and factory service manual online!
http://www.hachilife.com

Stage One. They have an AE86 specialty shop. they are the US carrier of techno pro spirits!
http://www.stageoneimports.com

Ctune. A site with some nice suspension parts.
http://www.ctuneracing.com

Toyota 4AGE engines. A really in depth page about the 4AGE.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age.htm

Thanks for reading and have fun!

MORE INFO from various sources aka internet:

The Toyota Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno (AE86) is a small, lightweight coupe introduced by Toyota in 1983 as part of the fifth generation Toyota Corolla line-up. For the purpose of brevity, the insider-chassis code of "AE86" is used to describe the whole range. In classic Toyota code, the "A" represents the engine that came in the car (the 4A) and the E86 represents the 6th revision of the fifth generation (E80 series) of the E model which is the Corolla. The main difference between the Levin and Trueno is that the former has fixed-headlights whilst the latter has pop-up headlights; the export Corolla name covers both variations. The AE86 (along with the lower spec AE85 versions) was rear wheel drive (unlike the front wheel drive AE82 models), and is said to be the last rear-drive car of its type, at a time when most passenger cars were being switched to front-drive. The AE86 was replaced in 1987 by the front wheel drive AE92 Corolla/Sprinter range. The car was also known as the Hachi-Roku(ハチロク) (the numbers "eight" (hachi, ハチ) and "six" (roku, ロク) in Japanese).

Models/specifications

In Japan, the DOHC 4A-GEU AE86 was offered in GT-APEX or GTV trims as the Corolla Levin or Sprinter Trueno, with SOHC 3A-U AE85 version sold in a variety of trims including SR, GT, et cetera. In America, the top-spec DOHC 4A-GEC AE86 was sold as the Corolla GT-S with the SOHC 4A-C AE86 bearing the Corolla SR5 tag, both versions sold with pop-up headlights only. Euro spec models were sold as the Corolla GT with DOHC engines and fixed Levin-style headlights. The Middle East received the same basic model as the North American market, with pop-up headlights and the regulated 5 mph (8 km/h) bumpers.

Due to a light weight of around 940 kg, and over 120 bhp (89 kW) power, the car could reach a top speed of 120 mph (193 km/h), and could accelerate from 0–60 mph in 8.5 seconds in standard specification.

North American AE86 specifications and year changes

There are three types of Corolla Sport RWD for the US market: DX, SR5, and GT-S, though it seems the DX was more of an internal Toyota designation, as brochures, and the like do not include the DX designation; it was more of an interior trim level, as most everything else is the same as the SR5. It is grouped in with the SR5 in this list, as that is the commonly used name for all North American Corolla Sport models that are not GT-S equipped.

* Model Years of production: 1984 to 1987
* Chassis Code: AE86
* Versions: SR5 and GT-S (85+ Only)
* Drag Coefficient: 0.39
* Odometer Calibration: 637 revs = 1 km (Canada Only) / 1026 revs = 1 mile (USA Only)

SR5 specifications

* Horsepower: 90 hp (67 kW) @ 4800 rpm
* Torque: 85 ft·lbf (115 N·m) @ 2800 rpm
* Weight: approximately 2200 lb (998 kg) to 2400 lb
* Engine: 4A-C, 1587 cc
* Engine Type: SOHC 8-valve Inline-4 Carbeurated
* M/T Transmission: T50, 6-bolt flywheel
* A/T Transmission: A42DL, 4-speed overdrive w/lockup torque converter, mechanically controlled, with electronically engaged overdrive
* Compression: 9.0:1
* Differential: 6.38" Open with 4.10:1 Ratio, 2-pinion (Automatic) (S292) or 3.91:1 Ratio, 4-pinion (5-speed) (S314)
* Wheels/Tires: 13x5" +33 mm Offset Rims with 185/70-13 Tires
* First 7 Digits of VIN: JT2AE86

GT-S specifications

* Horsepower: 112 hp (84 kW) @ 6600 rpm
* Torque: 97 ft·lbf (132 N·m) @ 4800 rpm
* Weight: approximately 2200 lb (998 kg) to 2400 lb
* Engine: 4A-GEC, 1587 cc
* Engine Type: DOHC 16-valve Inline-4 Multiport Fuel Injection w/T-VIS
* Transmission: T50, 8-bolt flywheel
* Injector Size: approx. 180 cc, low impedance
* Compression: 9.4:1
* Differential: 6.7" Open (T282) or optional LSD (USA Only) (T283) with 4.30:1 Ratio, 2-pinion
* Wheels/Tires: 14x5.5" +27 mm Offset Rims with 185/60-14 Tires (195/60-14 for 86+ models)
* First 7 Digits of VIN: JT2AE88

1984 model year (August 1983 to July 1984)

* Introduced with a new body/interior over a very similar chassis to the AE71 Corolla it replaced
* Available in both 3-door liftback and 2-door coupe versions
* Only available with the 4A-C engine
* Optional 4-spoke alloy wheels
* Sunroof optional
* Cruise control optional
* Cruise control changed from switches mounted on the left side of the steering wheel to a stalk on the right of the steering column (01/84+ models)
* Automatic and 5-speed optional
* Air conditioning optional
* Power mirrors optional
* Optional 3-spoke steering wheel (Canada Only)
* Climate control has descriptors on it (FOOT, COLD, WARM)
* Map lights standard (Sunroof cars Only)
* Rear window wiper optional
* Power steering optional
* Radiator fan shroud added on models with A/C
* "Sport Interior" optional, interior is similar to standard GT-S interior made standard in 1985
* Some vehicles with "Sport Interior" have cloth map pockets on doors, otherwise hard plastic
* Interior Colours: Beige, Blue, Red

1985 model year (August 1984 to July 1985)

* GT-S model introduced
* Rear disc brakes standard (GT-S only)
* 5-speed only available (GT-S only)
* Automatic and 5-speed still optional (SR5 Only)
* Large decals added on fender, door, and quarter panels (GT-S Only)
* Leather steering wheel and shift knob standard (GT-S Only)
* "Sport Interior" no longer optional (SR5 only)
* "Sport Interior" standard with 6-way adjustable driver's seat (GT-S Only)
* Optional 3-spoke SR5 steering wheel no longer optional (Canada, SR5 Only)
* 3-spoke steering wheel standard (Canada, GT-S Only)
* LSD optional (USA, GT-S Only)
* Blank plate added beside e-brake (05/85+ models)
* Clutch-start switch added (02/85+ models)
* Spoiler added (GT-S, 3-door Only)
* 14x5.5" wheels standard (GT-S Only)
* Silver and Gold "Pizza-Cutter" alloy wheels optional (GT-S Only)
* Front bumper lower lip spoiler added (GT-S Only)
* 150mph/240 km/h speedometer added (GT-S Only)
* 7500 rpm redline tachometer added (GT-S Only)
* Bumpers changed to the same colour as the car is painted (GT-S Only)
* Side trim changed to same colour as the car is painted (GT-S Only)
* Oil pressure gauge added to gauge cluster (GT-S Only)
* Trunk badging changed to a decal-type instead of the emblem "SR5" on 84 models
* Brake lines changed from a 7-line setup to a 5-line setup (05/85+ models)
* SR5 interior colours: maroon, grey, blue
* GT-S interior colours: maroon, grey, red
* GT-S exterior colours: black, red, silver

1986 model year (August 1985 to July 1986)

* Corolla Sport receives its first major cosmetic update
* Power windows option added (GT-S Only)
* Interior cloth changed from tweed-type to velour type with checker pattern (GT-S Only)
* Door panels changed to cloth type from vinyl type (GT-S Only)
* Doors received separate arm rests that screw on instead of the moulded vinyl type (GT-S Only)
* Rear axles changed to a larger diameter (10/85+ models, GT-S Only)
* Updated clutch master cylinder design, to provide less squealing
* Automatic transmission shifter updated to a nicer look (SR5 Only)
* Seat design updated, back changed to a single pad, from a 3-pad setup, hard shell extended upwards (GT-S Only)
* Steering wheel updated from a square horn to a more rounded (6-sided) design (USA, GT-S Only)
* Tail lights updated, black plastic garnish added around license plate
* Spoiler removed (GT-S, 3-door Only)
* Black plastic trunk garnish added (GT-S, 2-door Only)
* Black plastic wheel opening trim added (GT-S Only)
* Optional alloy wheels changed to a spoked "Snowflake" design, only available in silver (GT-S Only)
* Optional alloy wheels changed to a 7-spoke design (SR5 Only)
* Vacuum pump added to cruise control system
* Vacuum switch added to cruise control system (04/86+ models)
* Headlight garnishes changed to a more curved, reflector design from a flat black design
* Front side markers changed to match front headlight garnishes
* Front grille enlarged to extend underneath front headlights, bumper extensions appropriately made smaller
* Third brake light added (CHSML) to comply with federal regulations
* Gauge cluster illumination changed from green to white
* Faint vertical lines added to gauge cluster background
* Gauge cluster needles changed to white, and design changed
* Smaller gauges changed to white needles, with different markings
* Headliner changed from vinyl type to a fuzzy cloth type
* Sun visors changed from all-vinyl to half vinyl/half fuzzy cloth type
* Sun visor shape changed to block more sun above the rear view mirror
* Climate control changed to an all-symbol design with a more textured feel to it
* A/C compressor manifold frame has larger ports
* Front/rear seat movement handle changed from inner section to outer section of front seats
* Cutout added on rear privacy cover for 3rd brake light (3-door Only)
* Switches on the dash (rear defog, rear wiper switch) now light up at night
* Clock on dash now has the lettering all black, instead of being offset in white
* Side decals made much smaller and are now only on the doors, not fenders or quarter panels (GT-S Only)
* "Diagnostic" terminal replaces two-pin short-out terminal to get information from vehicle components and put engine in diagnostic mode
* Horn moved from underneath headlight to hood latch support
* Trunk decals changed to a gradient design from the lined type (silver to black gradient)
* Gas tank receives baffling to prevent starving the fuel pump around corners when low on gas
* Steering rack changed slightly, slightly smaller, with larger bushings to compensate when mounting
* SR5 interior colours: black, blue, maroon
* GT-S interior colours: black, blue
* GT-S exterior colours: black, blue, light blue, red

1987 model year (August 1986 to July 1987)

* Almost a direct carry over from 1986, with several small differences
* "Sport Interior" made optional, though most cars still have it (GT-S Only)
* Cloth changed back to tweed type from velour (GT-S with "Sport Interior" Only)
* Headrest changed to cloth-type from vinyl (SR5, GT-S without "Sport Interior" Only)
* Three-door version is much harder to come by, but are still available, 2-door more available (USA, GT-S Only)
* Radio connector changed to the new Toyota standard plugs, used on almost all Toyotas until 2000
* Some vehicles are equipped with the later, stronger 7-rib block, while retaining the smaller, lighter internals (GT-S Only)
* SR5 interior colours: black, blue, maroon
* GT-S interior colours: black, blue

Last edited by Rey; 07-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:08 AM
yea sweet lemonade

and on another ae86 note. the stock brakes are more than adequate to stop a 2200lb car. all i did to mine is do steel braided lines and dot 5 fluid. just make sure the calipers are in ggod shape. the fronts are cheap to replace but the rears are like 150 a piece. due to being specific to the GT-S.

and as for the t-50 tranny, any corolla thats rear drive from 1980 to 1987 has a t-50 so all you'll need is a bellhousing for your model engine. all the t-50's have the same gear ratio's.

the rear end is the hardest and most exspensive part of the car to fix. now most ae86's have close to or over 200k on them so the rear ends are kinda weak. i spent some money on mine but it was the quickest easiest way to get the car back on the road. i went to the toyota dealer and bought a whole center pumpkin rear end for $1200 it came complete read to put in bran new with a 1 year warrenty. i know you can buy an aftermarket lsd cheaper, but then you have to buy bearings and shims and then find a shop that knows what their doing and pay them to put it all together. also do axle bearings to. if you here a groaning comeing form the rear end and it gets louder the faster you go its more than likely the axle bearings. those are specific to the GT-S too. i have easily spent close to $2000 on my rear end alone.

i have much more to add so i'll get back in a few.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:04 AM
"the apex hero"

It doesn't really work better. The wires point upwards and it has a heat shield. Amd that's better than having holes melted in distributor caps all the time.

Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2 sedan expert.
APXRO: JZX100 Chaser "Odaiba Romance" 815HP/DG B1 2 overhauls. secret weapon
PM!: UCF10 Celsior "Jealousy" 810HP/DG B3 0 overhauls. vs battle car
Old 01-19-2005, 02:23 AM
yea sweet lemonade

ok continuing on............

when you start doing the first basic maintence items there are a few things to look for. always buy a new starter, not a remanufactured one. the starter is under the exhaust so it gets kinda hot. the only ones that last worth a damn are new one's. and when putting on an aftermarket header always wrap it with header wrap. this will help extend the starter's and the distributer's life span.

some other things to know about ae86's is that they were never designed to take the loads of aftermarket suspensions. i think the most important part of preparing a corolla for any kind of spirted driving is making sure the chassis is in good condition. these cars have been known to tear themselves apart at the seems. a full on cage is the best way to go cause it will tie the whole car together. but if its a daily driver then taking the car down to nothing and having it seem welded would be a good idea.

ok, now for the good stuff. basically why everyone loves the ae86 in the first place is cause of how the car handles and fun it is to drive. even being underpowered its still a blast to drive stock. but everyone needs more power and thats where the corolla can go many differet ways. you have to decide what you want and what you like. the common swaps are the 4agze and the 20v 4age. you can't go wrong with either one, but those aren't your only options, you have lots of different motors to chose from

18rg
2tg
3tg
3tgte
1ggze
1ggte
3sge
3sgte
22rte
20r,22r

you could prolly even get a v6 in there too like the 1mzfe. but basically any A series motor will fit. then there are the 4agte, 7age hybrids. i say this cause there never was either motor form toyota. if you plan on turboing a 4ag make sure you have a red hat bottom end due to it having better ristpins, rod and main journal sizes and oil cooled pistons.

in the us you had 3 versions of the 4age.

Blue Hat: 85 to 87 corolla GT-S, 85 to 87 aw11 mr2,87 corolla fx16 GT-S.
early Red Hat: 88 to 89- MR2 n/a and s/c, FWD corolla GT-S, FX-16 GT-S.
and i believe the only 4age after 89 was the small port Red Hat found in the 90 to 92 Geo Prizm Gsi's.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Toyotas For Life

just to let you know not all T50's from 80-87 are the same. the 80-81 has a 20 spline and a different bellhousing(weird spacer) and a different driveshaft(20 spline) not to mention it is a tad weaker than the 22 spline which came in the 82-87.

Last edited by 82RollaSR5; 06-22-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Rey
Banned

Whats better? Coupe or Hatch?
Much debating has been done on this: Hatches weigh more by about 40lbs, due to the back hatch and glass. Its possible that coupes have less body flex than hatches due to the lack of the large opening in the rear. Hatches also are believed to be more aerodynamic.

Whats is, Kouki, Zenki, etc.?
These are Japanese words describing order of the said objects release/era:

- Zenki: Early period, First
- Chuuki: Middle period
- Kouki: Latter period, Final

Whats Faster/Better? A Levin or Trueno?
Both are almost the same weight and bolth have the same dimensions. Some debate that truenos have better aerodynamics.

How much does an AE86 weigh?
Stock AE86 is somewhere close to: 2400-2600lbs Depending on whats been removed or if the AE86 an SR5 or GTS acutal weight may vary.

How do I check for LSD on my car?
Three good ways to check: Look on the VIN plate under the hood, if its got "273" after t50 you orginally had LSD. This only tells you what was originally equipped.
Another way to check is look for a sticker on the rear end that says 'LSD'

The last, most time consuming but error free way of checking, unbolt the drive line from the third member. Looking at the pinion nut, you will see a painted color;

Blue paint = LSD
Yellow paint = Open
Red = SR5

How big are the gas tanks in the AE86?
13.2 US Gallons

What is a Blue Top, Red Top, Silver...
- First 16v 4AGE released, also known as LowComp, Big Port and Blue top.
- Second 16v 4AGE released, oddball model LowComp, Big Port but with high comp bottom end with lower compression pistons.
- Third 16v 4AGE released, also knows as HighComp, Small Port and Red top.
- Fourth 4AGE released, also first motor to come with 20v and VVT commonly known as the Silver top.
- Fifth and final 4AGE released, 20v and came with VVT-I. Commonly known as the Black top.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Rey
Banned

from hachiroku.net

AE86 OEM Factory Service Manual
Toyota 16v 4AG Engine Service Manual

Part Numbers:

KOUKI TRUENO
Front Bumper - (52119-12092)
Front Bumper Bracket Right - (52011-12221)
Front Bumper Bracket Left - (52012-12221)
Bumper/Clearance/Turn Signal Right - (81510-8003
Bumper/Clearance/Turn Signal Left - (81520-8003
Front Grill - (53100-12232)
Grill Emblem - (75314-12021)
Rear Bumper - (52159-12062)
Rear Bumper Bracket Right - (52015-12111)
Rear Bumper Bracket Left - (52016-12111)
Redline Tail Light Right - (81550-1A291)
Redline Tail Light Left - (81560-1A291)
Redline Tail Light Center Piece - (75803-12070)
Black Limited Trueno Emblem - (75314-12030)

ZENKI TRUENO
Front Bumper - (52119-12140)
Zenki Trueno Front Lip - (76081-12020)
Emblem - (75314-19015)
Rear Bumper Bracket Right - (52015-12110)
Rear Bumper Bracket Left - (52016-12110)
Rear Bumper - (52159-12091-0
Rear Bumper Seal - (52591-12010)

ZENKI LEVIN
Zenki Levin Bumper - (52119-12090)
Zenki Levin Front Left Bumper Bracket - (52011-12220)
Zenki Levin Front Right Bumper Bracket - (52012-12220)
Levin hood - (53301-12442)
Grill - (53100-12220)
Zenki Levin Right Fender - (53801-1A860)
Zenki Levin Left fender - (53802-1A560)
Zenki Levin Front Lip - (76081-12010)

KOUKI LEVIN
Kouki Levin Right Fender - (53801-1A770)
Kouki Levin Left Fender - (53802-1A760 or 1A661?)
Kouki Levin Bumper - (52119-12142)
Kouki Levin Front Right Bumper Bracket - (52011-12231)
Kouki Levin Front Left Bumper Bracket - (52012-12231)
Levin hood - (53301-12442)
Bumper Support - (52115-12240)
Bumper Turn Signal(left) - (81520-80024)
Corner Light(left) - (81620-12290)
Corner Light(right) - (81610-12290)
Door Molding - (75732-12251-0
Headlight(left) - (81150-1A021)
Headlight(right) - (81110-1A261)

SHARED/MISC. PARTS
APEX Twin Cam 16 Decal - (75443-12550-03)
GTV Decals - (75985-12380)
Smoked Turn Signals - (81731-12173 - 81741-12163)
Sprinter Trueno Decal - Coupe (75441-12320-03)
Sprinter Trueno Decal - Hatchback (75441-12321-03)
TRUENO Decal(Black) - (75442-12790-03)
Trueno Mudflaps - (76608-19265 / 76607-19265)
1985 FR Corolla Repair/Metiance Maunal - (36241A)
1986 FR Corolla Repair/Metiance Maunal - (RM003U)
1987 FR Corolla Repair/Metiance Maunal - (RM040U)
Stock Toyota "Snowflake" Wheels (86/87 mdl.Year) - (4261112790)

TRD JAPAN
Rear Hatch - (67005-AE801-60)

Rear Hatch Wing - (64440-AE801)

Carbon Fiber Hood - (53311-AE820)

TRD JAPAN AE86 Lowering Springs
NOTE: Each part # represents ONE spring, not a pair or set.
Front 2.0kg/mm(rally) - (48131-AE851)
Front 2.4kg/mm(rally) - (48131-AE861)
Front 6.0kg/mm(race) - (48131-AE801-60)
Front 8.0kg/mm(race) - (48131-AE801-80)
Rear 2.3 kg/mm(rally) - (48231-AE861)
Rear 3.9 kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-39)
Rear 4.3 kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-43)
Rear 4.7 kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-47)
Rear 5.1 kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-51)
Rear 5.5 kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-55)
Rear 6.0 kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-60)
Rear 6.5kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-65)
Rear 7.0kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-70)
Rear 8.0kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-80)
Rear 9.0kg/mm(race) - (48231-AE801-90)

TRD USA
ShortShift Kit - (00602-30301-002)
Front Sway Bar - (00602-48810-001)
Lowering Springs - (00602-48130-001)
Oil Filler Cap-Kanji screw-on - (00602-12108-001)
Oil Filler Cap-Japan screw-on - (00602-12108-002)
Radiator Cap 18.5 psi - (00642-16401-001)
Radiator Cap 21.3 psi - (00642-16401-002)
Plug Wires(race) - (00642-90919-000)
Headers new revision(race) - (00642-17141-012)
Valve Springs(race) - (00643-90501-000)
Cam Gear 4AG (adjustable) - (00642-13523-001)
Fuel Pressure Riser(adjustable) - (00643-23280-000)
Metal Head Gasket - (00643-11115-000)
Clutch Kit(street) - (00642-31200-020)
Clutch Kit(race) - (00643-31200-021)
Oil Filter(race) - (00642-90915-002)
Front Shocks(pair) - (00602-48511-031)
TRD 11,000RPM tach - (83270-14080)
TRD water temp gauge - (83410-14070)
TRD oil temp gauge - (83560-14010)
TRD oil pressure gauge - (83510-14010)
TRD center lock kit - (40206-AEA01)

Camshafts
Intake 304 - (13501-AE851)
Intake 288 - (13501-AE861)
Intake 272 - (13501-AE871)
Exaust 304 - (13502-AE851)
Exaust 288 - (13502-AE861)
Exaust 272 - (13502-AE871)
Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Rey
Banned

vin and engine codes:

VIN numbers are the thumbprint of the car. A lot can be learned a lot from this set of numbers!

VIN; Vehicle Identification Number
What the numbers in the VIN represent:

1st digit: Country
2nd digit: Make
3rd digit: Vehicle type
4th digit: Engine Family
5th digit: Chassis Family
6th digit: Generation
7th digit: Right or Left Hand Drive
8th digit: Unknown
9th digit: Check digits, this is a single number or letter x used to verify the accuracy of transcription of VIN
10th digit: model year (C = 1982 - so every letter beyond C increases a year accordingly)
11th digit: Assembly Plant
12th-17th digit: Production Sequence

What can be learned from this?
- The SR5 has the sequence "AE86" in the number while, the GTS model has "AE88". This is very useful in telling if the car was originally a GTS or SR5.

- If the numbers T283 are located in by the VIN on the bottom right hand corner of the plate on the firewall, right after it says T50, the car was originally equipped with LSD, if the VIN instead has T282, the car was not originally equipped with an LSD

- Another place to find useful information on the AE86 is in the glove box! While it doesn't have the VIN it has other information, generally pertaining to maintenance of the car.

-VIN/Information locations on the AE86

Dashboard
Door Jamb
Cowl

Engine Codes
Engine codes tell you what motor you are talking about in any given car, these are different for all manufactures. Here, we will stick with Toyota!

-The generation/revision number is the first thing you see, so the 4 in "4A-GE" is how many revisions have been made to the motor

-The second is the letter given to the block, so the "4A" is the fourth revision on the A block.

-The numbers following the dash are engine variables that will be among the following:

F - economical twin cam (cams closer to each other)
G - Twin cam
C - Emissions package or carbureted(depending on year)
T - Turbocharged
Z - Supercharged
E - Electronic fuel injection
L - Lean combustion
U - Passes the Japanese emission
B - Twin carburetors
L - Lean combustion

The breakdown of the 4A-GE is;, 4th revision of the A block, with Twin Cams and EFI.

Many times you will see 4A-GELU or other slight variations, this is mostly just emissions packages and other such small differences.

SR5 vs GTS -__________________________________________________ ____________________________

SR5
Engine/Drive Train
All AE86 SR5's came with a the 4AC
This motor can also be found in:
Chevrolet Nova 88-89

The 4A-C:
SOHC
1.6L
Carbureted
Displacement: 97Cu. In. / 1587cc
Compression Ratio - 9.0:1
8 Valves
3 rib block
Stock Horse Power(est.) - 70 @ 4800
Stock ft. lbs. Torque(est.) - 85 @ 2800
0-60(est.) in 10 seconds

Transmission:
Manual - T-50 (Note: While gearsets and transmission case are the
same between GTS and SR5, the bellhousing is different)
Automatic - T40

Chassis/Body
Stock SR5 Colors:
Red
Red Metallic
Gold
Black
Silver
Blue
White
Dark Blue

SR5 features:
(Note: Features are generally true. Almost all items where upgradable and trim levels and options varied but these features are found to be true approximately 90% of the time.)
Black Bumpers
Smaller front lip
Manual Side Mirrors (Power mirrors optional)
SR5 stickers
SR5 Seats (no lumbar support, GTS Style optional)

GTS
Engine/Drive Train
All AE86 GTS's came with a the 4ag

This motor can also be found in:
Toyota MK1 MR2
Chevrolet NovaSS 88-89
Geo PrizimGSI 89-92 (High Compression)
AE82 FX16 GT-S

The 4A-G:
DOHC
1.6L
EFI (Electronically Fuel Injected)
Displacement: 97Cu. In. / 1587cc
Compression Ratio - 9.4:1
16 Valve
3 rib block
Stock Horse Power(est.) - 112 @6600
Stock ft. lbs. Torque(est.) - 97 @ 4800
0-60(est.) in 8 seconds

Transmission:
Manual - T50

Chassis/Body
Stock GTS Colors:
Red
Black
Silver
Blue

Two Tone:
Red/Black
Silver/Black
Blue/Light Blue

GTS features:
Uni color bumpers
Larger front air dam
Power Mirrors (manual optional)
GTS stickers
Seats with lumbar support
LSD (Optional)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So Tampa Racing reset the counter and mercy sakes! AUG 31 2016, Another record set for number of readers on Tampa Racing at the same time: 2,523!

What's Going On?

Currently Active Users
There are currently 530 users online. 1 member and 529 guests.
Most users ever online was 2,523, Yesterday 31 AUG 2016, at 09:17 PM.
Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s) click here for the BEST listing of car events between Jacksonville and Miami...
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/forum.php and scroll down

65 people are reading General car chat and you can too by clicking:
General Car Chat

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/