Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

MR2 intakes

Old 09-08-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MR2 intakes

Was wondering what I should get.
1. Apex I power intake
2. The Blitz SUS

I have read that the Blitz SUS has the best all round filtering but the Apex I unit also comes highly recommended. The Apexi unit also comes with a heat shield. On the other hand I hear that the stainless steel mesh of the blitz SUS unit is life time maintenance free.

I was wonder what unit I should end up using. What do you all think is the better one is? And if anyone knows a better intake then I'm all ears. Please list pros and cons.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 AM
not available

I saw a filtration vs. hp test done on a Skyline on some website but I can't find the link, but I remember the results:

K&N Conicle Filter = +14hp
Apex'i Intake = +14hp
Blitz SUS = +13hp
HKS Mushroom Filter = +10hp

I ordered them in best to worst in filtering. They put dirt in front of the filter and a cloth behind each filter to catch what passed through, the HKS passed the most dirt through and the Blitz passed the second worse, they looked both just as bad, but the HKS had a little more dirt. The K&N and Apex filters passed barely any dirt it was almost not noticable.

I went with the Apex'i unit, it fits nicely, and the "heat shield" I think is more of a rain shield. It's pretty easy to clean, just go to a tire filling station at a gas station and blow the dirt out of it with the tire filling thing. The only spot I had dirt build up was on top where it could hover, but most the dirt would just fall out of the filter when I took it out.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:01 AM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

i saw that test a few years ago. the K&N filtered the best and had one of the best gains over the rest. The HK$ had the biggest gain but the worst filtration quality... the rest were middle of the road...

so you still cant beat a K&N. you dont have to have an HKS or BLitz or what have you to go fast... good ol american performance parts will make a jap car go fast.

FYI... the HKS is a Super-Mega-Flow filter... or as i like to call it: the Super-Mega- Suck filter... cuz it SUCKS and will admit dirt into your intake system which, over time, will erode your compressor blades. not good.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:44 AM
2 seats > 4

Yeah, the "heat-shield" on the apex-i filter is most probablly a rain shield. Heat shields don't work on air filters anyway. Heat shields block radiant heat, but won't do anything to prevent hot air from entering your intake. I had an apex-i on my old 14 second '93 turbo, but my 12 second genIII has the tried and true K&N.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Anti-Flag

Marks 12 second 93 Turbo that used your motor ran the Apex'i

My new RX7 has an Apex'i Intake . I have a gay arse mesh style Blitz filter adn it's ok but it doesn't filter all to well . My buddies K&N does much better adn the APex'i is a cinch to clean .

If your going to post , please fucking think before you start talking out of your ass !