Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

engine management

Old 07-14-2003, 12:36 PM
P V
333HP N/A 6 Cylinder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine management

Does anyone out there have any solid info on which is better for the money. A good boost controller such as a Profec e-01 or the ECUTek. I know the ECUTek is supose to give a little more power but if out ECU are so adaptive then why can we not just raise the boost a little and let the ECU calculate duty cycle of injectors and how much fuel or what not it needs. I not talkin like running 20 psi just a moderate raise in boost level to 15 psi. also what boost is everyone running in the dead heat of Florida summer.
I know this has been beatin to death before but I can not find info on it. I know Billy you have the ECUTek maybe can help

Thanks PV
Old 07-14-2003, 03:14 PM
danse

For driveability and all around safety factor, I would have to say EcuTek is the nicest, cheapest option. It seems expensive, until you realize that it would cost twice as much to purchase a Motec or Tec3 system. Then you have the huge hassle of installing and tuning it. The EcuTek can basically do anything you need it to, though it is limited in some ways compared to true race standalones. That has nothing to do with your post though. If all you're going to do is bump boost modestly, I agree with Billy, get a nice electronic boost controller (though I'd recommend GReddy or HKS, but that's strictly a matter of personal preference). You shouldn't need anything more than that if you really do keep it around 15psi on the stock turbo.

The Florida heat should not hurt you too bad, assuming you have ample fuel supply and intercooling for the amount of boost you're running. At 15psi, you should be fine.

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 07-15-2003, 01:00 PM
1337 H4x0r

I've been using an off the shelf Stage II map from Cobb Tuning using the AccessECU reflash system and I honestly couldn't be happier. The performance is night and day and it's smoother than stock zero issues.

I'm sure I could of spent 2x-3x the money on a custom dyno tuned ECUTek map for a few extra ponies but I couldn't justify the cost in my case. If you have the money and don't mind spending it go for a custom tune. Stay away from EBC/MBC/AFC as I've yet to drive a WRX that run smoothly with these gizmos.