Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

squeezing out power (Rex)

Old 03-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Cock Model

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeezing out power (Rex)

A question to all owners and prior owners of EJ20 powerplant subies; if you had a 3k budget to go straight to power, what would you buy? I know this car isn't all about the straights, but with the curves aside, how would you spend the dough? I'm kindof in a middleground here, there's only so much you can do with the stock turbo and TMIC.

02 WRX
K&N, ic hoses, up-pipe & turboback
Old 03-25-2003, 11:46 AM
1337 H4x0r

I would consider the Stage 1 Vishnu setup($2495) or the Stage 2 from TurboXS($2099) if you looking for a quality proven safe and realiable solution. If I'm not mistaken both of these stages build on to the stock turbo/intercooler setup.

You could also potentialy build your own stage kit possibly saving some money there and have Mastro Subaru in Tampa dyno tune your specific setup using the ECUTEK reflash system.

I think you're going to have a hard time upgrading the turbo and intercool with a $3000.00 budget considering:

$1000.00 Turbo upgrade
$1000.00 Intercooler
$500.00 Injectors
$150.00 Fuel Pump
$1000.00 ECU
$???.?? Uppipe/Downpipe
$???.?? Gauges
$???.?? Installation

Last edited by lstepnio; 03-25-2003 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Cock Model

Some #'s of mods i was looking at:

Greddy Gauges ~$400
Invidia Helix Downpipe ~$300
Catback ~$500
Up-pipe ~$150
AEM Short Ram intake ~$160
Samco TMIC hoses ~$130
Hyper Ground wires ~$100
Pulley kit ~$200
IHI VF22 ~$750
STI injectors ~$375
Walhboro Fuel Pump ~$100
MRT fuel rail ~$350
NX N-intercooler chiller ~$500+refills
Greddy FMIC ~$875
Cobb AccessECU ~$500
EcuTek DeltaDash combo~$1000

*plus tax/shipping/install

Which combination would be the most powerful yet reliable? Yeah, i was looking into the power packages at Vishnu, just seems like you could have parts installed for cheaper though.

02 WRX
Old 03-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Cock Model

forgot to mention an upgraded TMIC to the list
i'd say it would cost ~$800

02 WRX
Old 03-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Cock Model

If you really think about it, the turbo back exhaust ,up-pipe, and gauges are givens so this post is really asking what do you do with the ~$1500 after that. The last couple of weeks i've been reading alot on how you guys regret buying intakes and pulleys so i'm wondering where you go from here.

AccessECU and a FMIC?
intercooler hoses, intake, pulleys, ground wires, AccessECU?
intercooler hoses, spray kit, mod the intake, and DeltaDash combo?

02 WRX
Old 03-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Cock Model

so you would go with the an upgraded top mount and get an AccessECU?

Would it be better to get an upgraded top mount over a front mount if you were sticking with the stock turbo? I mean, the top mount is way smaller and isn't gonna see near as much cold air. Even if the front mount has all that piping.

Has anyone researched that comparison? Assuming there was engine management of course.

02 WRX
Old 03-25-2003, 05:24 PM
sooo...where's the turbo?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i've heard a new intercooler isn't necessary until you start getting some real numbers, like aroun 320 at the crank. This was via a turbo xs faq I read awhile back. The vf22 is a nice turbo. It's bb and has really good top end. However I don't know where you'll get one for 750, mine new was 1,000 and that was cheap from what i've seen them go for. I would say go for this....uppipe, downpipe, exhaust. and then get I think ECUtek and have mastro tune it on their dyno. I'm not sure what ecu's they tune, but it's either ecutek or something like that. With all that done you will have enough $$$ left over for a lightened flywheel and a new clutch. I know the flywheel was probably the most responsive mod i've ever bought for my car.

or you could go the another route and get full exhaust, fuel pump, injectors and some nitrous.

there's tons of options, just look around on the impreza forums for info on what ppl have blown their motors running and you'll get an idea on what NOT to do. Have fun!