Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Info on STi Swap

Old 01-09-2003, 06:04 PM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on STi Swap

A WRX is just going to cost too much...both in payments and insurance. After talking with Zate last Saturday, I'd like to find out more info on the STi swap into a 2.5RS or L. I tried searching a few different sites/forums, but came up empty handed. Thanks for the help.

Alan
Old 01-09-2003, 08:04 PM
sooo...where's the turbo?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, mechanically it'll be fairly simple....as for the transmission if you opt for the sti 6spd you'll need new axles, along with the rear sti 4 pot brakes, rear diff., and dust covers. I'm not sure if the rs transmission will bolt up, but if it does, then it'll break fairly soon. for the $$ you can swap in a wrx transmission. The main part is wiring, onnce the engine harness is done you'll have to take out the dash and redo all the underdash wiring. Even if you get all the stuff ready it'll take like 200 hours to do with the transmission swap. There's a write up on the www.nasioc.com of some guy putting a wrx engine in his 2.5. It is in the general forums under old school. it was 130 hours for just the engine swap i believe. Anyways, just do some research on what you want to do with the car 1/4, auto-x. rally-x, etc and then decide what tranny/clutch/engine combo is best and if you'll be doing the swap yourself or how much you're willing to spend on paying someone else to do it. Just don't spend 6,000 on an engine swap and break the transmission 50 miles down the road.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:15 AM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by "2TurboImports"

well, mechanically it'll be fairly simple....as for the transmission if you opt for the sti 6spd you'll need new axles, along with the rear sti 4 pot brakes, rear diff., and dust covers. I'm not sure if the rs transmission will bolt up, but if it does, then it'll break fairly soon. for the $$ you can swap in a wrx transmission. The main part is wiring, onnce the engine harness is done you'll have to take out the dash and redo all the underdash wiring. Even if you get all the stuff ready it'll take like 200 hours to do with the transmission swap. There's a write up on the www.nasioc.com of some guy putting a wrx engine in his 2.5. It is in the general forums under old school. it was 130 hours for just the engine swap i believe. Anyways, just do some research on what you want to do with the car 1/4, auto-x. rally-x, etc and then decide what tranny/clutch/engine combo is best and if you'll be doing the swap yourself or how much you're willing to spend on paying someone else to do it. Just don't spend 6,000 on an engine swap and break the transmission 50 miles down the road.

Zate was telling me about a rally team that does the entire STi motor/drivetrain (includes 6-speed, differentials, etc) swap for about $11k. I am curious to find out just how that differential adjustment knob works....he was saying you can adjust it inside the car from 50/50 to 30/70 and so on.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:26 PM
sooo...where's the turbo?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah, rallispec does them...but 11k is a hunk of change, plus the cost of your car. But aye, whatever's clever. You'd be the only one if not one of the very very few with an sti swap.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:18 AM
drives euro trash

Thanks for the info. With the amount of money I already have saved, and the money that I could possibly get from the sale of my Focus....I am very close to having the $11k for the swap. But...I need to control my urge to get rid of the Focus until I am 100% secure with my job (6-month review is coming up in March).

I'm weighing the STi swap against a carburated 351 swap into a Fox-body or SN95. My mullet/mustang roots still shine through.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 PM

if your going to do a sti swap i would suggest using the 96'impreza a/t fwd u can get one for around ~$1000 spend around ~$13000 for a full swap and end up with a sti that is around 400 pounds lighter then any stock sti so it will out break out corner and out accel any other impreza there is with same power out put all for hafe the price. check out www.eastcoastswappers.com. Tell them daniel v. sent you maby ill get a discount on my 96' sti swap...lol

p.s. If you do a swap you need to consider that the trany,rear-end,axles (you have to change the breaks and nuckles if u use sti axels) all need to be upgraded to handle the power out put of the new motor
Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Only Bolt ons!!

He probably done it and blown it 3 times by now!! check the date

TampaBayTunedInc.
Area51Tuned