Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Subaru Questions

Old 12-31-2002, 05:21 PM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Questions

The WRX has just fallen on my list of possible cars to purchase in the next 3-6 months.

Just how durable is the car? Are there any pieces that are fragile and prone to breaking?

Is the car reliable?

How anal are most dealers about aftermarket bits and pieces when it comes to warranty work?

How does the shifter feel? Is it sloppy like a knife in a hot bowl of margarine, or is it more of a solid feel similar to a Mustang or Camaro?

Where can I get the best deal (i.e. under retail value) on a WRX?

I have yet to test drive one of these cars to see if it ultimately makes the cut to my ever growing list. I stopped by a dealership over on Florida, and stood around for a good 5 minutes without any sales person approaching me. Would have liked to test drive the WRX, but it seems that dealership isn't in the business of selling cars.

Thanks for the help.
Alan
Old 12-31-2002, 07:38 PM
sooo...where's the turbo?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you stopped at reeves....they're not really into the business of selling cars that cost less than 90k.....i've got nothing good to say about them. Go to Mastro Subaru. It's on hillsborough and veterans. They are mod friendly, have hell in stock mods and are getting an AWD dyno. I bought my car there and I think every other subaru on the road did as well. Just check them out.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:53 AM

I had concidered getting one as the family wagon, but unfortunately the wife wanted a jetta so we didn't.

All the research I did indicated that they are good durable cars, but how well they stand up to abuse is another question.

I know Zate had some clutch problems with his, and I hear that people that like to perform abusive clutch dumps can damage the tranny.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:20 AM
drives euro trash

Another question:

Are there any differences in suspension, drivetrain, etc. between the wagon and the sedan? I'm leaning more towards the wagon since I like the utility of a hatch back.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:43 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by "Billy"

Ohhh....and the wagon is ~20mm narrower then the sedan. Most suspension parts will fit either, but I am pretty sure there are a few exceptions...just can't think of them right now
Is that 20mm difference going to cause a drastic difference between the handling characteristics of the wagon compared to the sedan? I'll have to take you up on the ride along in your WRX as soon as I can find some time off work.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:53 PM
is cooler than you

I've read that its not recommended to 225 tires on the wagon, because they can rub because of the lack of the fender flares. But if you get aftermarket wheels with the right offset, you'll be fine.