Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

I hate asking things on NASIOC....

Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
I've gone Euro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate asking things on NASIOC....

I went to a car lot yesterday to look at an 03 wagon. Right off the bat I could see some signs that it was modified and then returned to stock. It LOOKS like the guy didn't go cheap on the mods though. It has a Prosport pod, and a decent stereo. Everything else is pretty much back to stock. I think it HAD a FMIC but now has the top mount.

My question is this....assuming he had it tuned for the mods he put on, how can I tell if it was ever tuned in the first place, and then "de-tuned" after being put back to stock? I don't want to buy it, drive it off the lot and blow the turbo/motor/have pieces fall off or something crazy like that.

I'm still relatively new to Colorado, and I don't even KNOW any tuners up here. Not to mention most good tuners won't just make car lot trips with people. lol.

Any suggestions?

EJ Crew Member #9
Official TR 5th Gen Civic CREW member # 38
Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 AM
400hp club, barely

Originally Posted by Gidget
I went to a car lot yesterday to look at an 03 wagon. Right off the bat I could see some signs that it was modified and then returned to stock. It LOOKS like the guy didn't go cheap on the mods though. It has a Prosport pod, and a decent stereo. Everything else is pretty much back to stock. I think it HAD a FMIC but now has the top mount.

My question is this....assuming he had it tuned for the mods he put on, how can I tell if it was ever tuned in the first place, and then "de-tuned" after being put back to stock? I don't want to buy it, drive it off the lot and blow the turbo/motor/have pieces fall off or something crazy like that.

I'm still relatively new to Colorado, and I don't even KNOW any tuners up here. Not to mention most good tuners won't just make car lot trips with people. lol.

Any suggestions?
Ok. Hm. How to put this..

Is there anything cheaper than Prosport?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Shake n bake

Originally Posted by specVmatt

TURBOPAC TURBO BOOST VACUUM GAUGE- BRAND NEW - NR : eBay Motors (item 290397056496 end time Feb-05-10 16:08:23 PST)
Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Shake n bake

Gidget, the Subaru Select Monitor 3 can detect how many times an ECU has been reflashed, so you'd have to go and see if your local Subaru dealer would be nice enough to do that for you.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 AM
I've gone Euro

Originally Posted by specVmatt

"cheap" or not...PLENTY of well done Subarus have them, so they must be a-ok. I didn't say the car was decked out in top notch modifications...however he didn't go for the uber generic ebay knock-off crap. He at least went with a relatively decent brand. That's all I'm sayin'.

EJ Crew Member #9
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 AM
I've gone Euro

Originally Posted by ShockerGT
Gidget, the Subaru Select Monitor 3 can detect how many times an ECU has been reflashed, so you'd have to go and see if your local Subaru dealer would be nice enough to do that for you.
Now THAT is useful information! I will have to keep that in mind. This car isn't going to know what HIT it with all of the tests it's about to go through

Thanks!

Any other help anyone? I'm looking for all of the details I can get!

EJ Crew Member #9
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
I've gone Euro

Hey I found one in Orlando...anyone wanna go check it out for me?? I already have someone who will drive it up here if I get it!

EJ Crew Member #9
Old 01-31-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ShockerGT
Not entirely useful... Subaru flashes "updated tunes" to your car during all the X mile tune ups (7500, 15000, 22500, 30000, etc) I guess if it was something crazy like 20 (which is about how many times my ecu has been flashed for tuning different setups) then I guess you knows its probably been tuned.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Bob

I know gauges cheaper than prosport!.... Glow-Shift....

Slowboy Racing, Perrin Performance, Cobb Tuning, Invidia, Subaru Tenica International, and eBay !!!

If you need a car stereo install, email me at imsowrxy@gmail.com. I come to you for the install.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Shaggin' Wagon IV

How many miles? Can the dealer put you in touch with the previous owner? I would ask for compression/leakdown test as well. Good luck.

2011 TSX Sportwagon