Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Help on new setup

Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on new setup

If anyone can help me out, i just replaced my clutch so thats out of the way moving on ... thanks blacksti,

Anyways i am in the market for a new setup i have an 05 sti with the stock vf39 , i want a new turbo, but i dont want to go crazy, just something simple like a 20g direct bolt on , so no rotated mounts. i have been looking at some turbos and they are telling me i need to delete my tumblers, i was wondering are there any kits that DO NOT need the tumblers to be deleted any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

also what do i need beside the current mods i already have in my sig thast will support a 20g , suggestions on turbos would be great, i know i need new injectors, and a fuel pump rather get everything now and done with

thanks

2007 Aprilia RSV 1000R > Leo Vince full
Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
DudeMan

you dont neeed to delete tgvs but when you go 3" inlet you should because it will help spool better. i say hta fp green 52lb/min with the same spool as the older green which is 49/min you can make 400on pump and 450-470whp on race gas or pump+meth

Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 AM

fuel pump, injectors, and as blacksti said you dont need tgv deletes but they will help... once you decide what turbo you get that will decide what injectors you need but stock ones arent gunna cut it no matter what. And the obvious tune once its all done
Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Shake n bake

What are your power goals? Pump and injectors will be the only real necessities. You don't really need TGV deletes until you have a 3" inlet, but if you have the money it wouldn't hurt to buy them anyway as you will have smoother air flow into the heads.

Originally Posted by bcs925
fuel pump, injectors, and as blacksti said you dont need tgv deletes but they will help... once you decide what turbo you get that will decide what injectors you need but stock ones arent gunna cut it no matter what. And the obvious tune once its all done
When the hell are you getting a fuel pump
Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ShockerGT
When the hell are you getting a fuel pump
I'm not totally convinced I need one... however I will eventually get one. I havent got a chance to fine tweak my tune quite yet because once I finally got some free time it rained, perhaps I should be tuning right now...
Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 AM

HTA Green or Dom 3 + DW 850s + Walbro. Done.

As far as TGV deletes, obviously a 3 inch inlet requires them, but I have heard some differing opinions about their benefits on bigger turbos. See this: NASIOC - View Single Post - TS Inc's 08sti - 424hp 385tq with just 4 MODS (AMS GT35R w/ DW850CC Tested). That is Doug's '08 with an AMS 35R kit, so a bit larger than stock location turbos, but still something to consider. As always, speaking to your tuner before pulling the trigger on parts is the best course of action.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 AM
vroom psshh.

why not go rotated?

Ultimately easier if you're removing / replacing the turbo
Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM

because then you have to replace the up and down pipes amoung other things and perhaps he doesnt like lag associated with the bigger turbos that tend to be in the rotated setups.... these are all assumptions just to play devils advocate.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by bcs925
because then you have to replace the up and down pipes amoung other things and perhaps he doesnt like lag associated with the bigger turbos that tend to be in the rotated setups.... these are all assumptions just to play devils advocate.

what he said, also i need to watch the the amount of money i have to spend, dont want to go too crazy just something to get going when i really need it
also, with the turbos specified, the fp greens etc, they come with a stock size inlet instead of the 3 correct, i already have a gimmick motorsports inlet and i dont want to change that also, thats the main thing, i just dont want to have to replace the tumblers and inlet hose if i dont really need to,

i have the walbro 255 in order, from what you guys say i need 850cc deutsch work injectors ??? or should i go big just to bee safe still debating on the turbo, like i said i just would like to have something easy direct and not to time consuming, if theres anymore setups out there let me know

thanks guys

2007 Aprilia RSV 1000R > Leo Vince full
Old 05-25-2009, 03:37 PM
TR Shop Mod

If you want the "punch" of the stock turbo and are okay with the power still falling off a bit up top, get the 20G. If you are okay with giving up the punch of gaining 100+ wft-lbs in 400 rpm and want the power to "stay on" better to redline get the green or bigger...

If you want over 370whp, get a FMIC...

Siegel
www.forgedperformance.com
770-792-0202

Siegel Racing
404-388-8751
www.siegelracing.com
Driver / Engineer / Tuner / Instructor