Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

So I was making a right onto Dale Mabry..

Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I was making a right onto Dale Mabry..

... and noticed a state trooper on a bike waiting for a left turn signal to go north on Dale Mabry. I was making a right to go South. I made a complete stop, waited for my turn to go, and made the right. Knowing he was watching me, I did not take off or rev high. Next thing I know, he's crossing all 3 lanes at the intersection to go south and come after me. He pulls up in the lane to my left and signals for me to pull over... didnt even pull me over from behind. So I put my turn signal on to pull over and I pulled off to the shoulder wondering wtf I did to get pulled over. Long story short, the fugger wrote me up for having an "aftermarket muffler". WTF is that?? I know there is such a law, but come on! If anything, having a more free-flowing exhaust is saving me money. So I looked up the statute that he wrote on the ticket and it's 316.610 which isn't even the statute that says no aftermarket exhausts. 316.610 is the faulty or unsafe equipment one. This is the same category as having one headlight burnt out, or not enough tread on your tire, or missing a windshield wiper. My exhaust (invidia G200) is on solid. it's not scraping the ground or hanging off - where the F does faulty or unsafe come from?

Needless to say, I'm heated. So... to get it taken care of, I have to pay the $76 and take the points on my license or pay a reduced fine of $54 and replace the exhaust with the OEM one (which will require me to remove my dp too). OR... i could try to contest it... which prolly isn't worth it.

Has anyone else gotten this bs ticket before? what nerve!! they should be cracking down on all those obnoxious-ass harleys. my shit isn't even loud!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
DudeMan

yea i got one too... but only because i told the cop to fight me

Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 PM

did you suck it up and pay the full fine or replace it, have it inspected, and pay the reduced fine?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
zee

u were in the rally blue wrx right? near fletcher and dale mabry? i drove by u today on the way to work ... that sucks those biker cops like to fuck around wit people ...
Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 PM

i got one a while back i just paid it you dont get any points on your D.L
Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Fail

Over powered Pig..

Originally Posted by Kirk
Failure for President.
Originally Posted by SuburbanNoize
Weve already got that
Old 01-14-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by zooby
u were in the rally blue wrx right? near fletcher and dale mabry? i drove by u today on the way to work ... that sucks those biker cops like to fuck around wit people ...

yup that was me... you would think i was speeding or something... fuggin stupid exhaust law...

Originally Posted by 00lgt
i got one a while back i just paid it you dont get any points on your D.L
You didn't get points for just paying it? he told me I would if i didn't replace it and get it inspected. I'll look into that... i'd rather not go through the trouble of replacing it, having to order a new dp to turbo gasket, and shit. the extra 30 bones is worth not having to go through all that... thx for the tip

Last edited by tomass; 01-14-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:07 PM

no, but the cop that got me gave me the altered exhast ticket maybe that will make a diffrence but its a non moving violation so i dont think you would get points
Old 01-14-2008, 05:18 PM

i got one too right after i put my exhaust on too. and i told him the same thing, "how about harleys and mustangs and all of those hotrods w loud midpipes blah blah blah" and all he said was "well i know what u mean,and if i catch em ill give em a ticket too, but im not giving u the ticket for been loud cause i dont care if its loud,but just because is not a factory equipment". and the only way they can give u a ticket for the exhaust its considering it an unsafe equipment which is what is not consider factory to them. now if they were to give u one for it been LOUD u can ask em if they got a decibel reader, if they dont they cant give u one. Bottom line is, they all assholes cause u know most of em used to have hotrods and loud cars and bikes in their times. most of em still do.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Just found this. So if I correct it, no points are assessed. Sounds like the only way to go.. Po was wrong about the $54 reduced fee. This one says $7.50.

Correction Defect
If charged with F.S. 316.610, operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe condition or not properly equipped as required in F.S. 316.610, or F.S. 316.2935, non-criminal violation, you may, WITHIN THIRTY (30) straight CALENDAR days from the date the citation was issued, have the defect corrected, pay a $4.00 fee to the local police or sheriff’s office and have the CORRECTION CERTIFIED ON AN AFFIDAVIT OF COMPLIANCE BY THE POLICE OR SHERIFF’S OFFICE. YOU MUST MAIL OR PRESENT THE AFFIDAVIT OF COMPLIANCE, TOGETHER WITH A $7.50 FEE TO THE CLERK OF THE COURT WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS OF THE DATE THE CITATION WAS ISSUED. NO POINTS WILL BE ASSESSED.
Here's the ACTUAL law that states no aftermarket exhaust:
Section 316.21935

NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured. (b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.
This is a bs law, but it's out there. Just warning everyone...