Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

clutch cylinder or realease bearing, not going into gear?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch cylinder or realease bearing, not going into gear?

A couple times before vacation it seemed hard to go into gear. I come back after a week, start it and it won't go into gear, just grinds even after pumping it. When the car is off it will go into any gear.
My first guess was master cylinder, or fluid low or something. Pulled off the intercooler. Fluid was full and clean, lines looked good, pumping the clutch moved the lever everything seemed normal. Decided to bleed the clutch according to the manual I have, pump hold method. Well it won't come back off the floor, I first thought cylinder was bad but then heard about some cars need vacuum bleed or pressure. Is that usually an issue with a WRX? Is that the problem with the gears too, or whats the problem with it not going into gear?

'02 Subaru WRX 2.5L, SR40 turbo, MRT TMIC, RA gears, ACT clutch & flywheel
'06 Chevy Cobalt SS GM Stg 2 G85 lsd
'94 Acura Integra GSR sold
'99 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 2" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, 20" Procomp Knight Khrome wheels sold
'92 Acura Integra RS sold
'04 CRF450R '86 TRX250R
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 PM
The NExt Brian O' Conner

it happens did u upgrade your clutch lines when u did the act, if you did you might have to replace your master this happened to a friend of mine
Old 08-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Comprehensive

Originally Posted by QuickSC2 3HT
A couple times before vacation it seemed hard to go into gear. I come back after a week, start it and it won't go into gear, just grinds even after pumping it. When the car is off it will go into any gear.
My first guess was master cylinder, or fluid low or something. Pulled off the intercooler. Fluid was full and clean, lines looked good, pumping the clutch moved the lever everything seemed normal. Decided to bleed the clutch according to the manual I have, pump hold method. Well it won't come back off the floor, I first thought cylinder was bad but then heard about some cars need vacuum bleed or pressure. Is that usually an issue with a WRX? Is that the problem with the gears too, or whats the problem with it not going into gear?
I can't tell you what you did when you bled the clutch line.

Your gear selection problem is very likely due to the clutch rotating assembly being stuck to the flywheel -- pressing the clutch pedal is not actually disengaging your clutch from the flywheel. This can happen in humid/rainy climates after a few days of sitting.

Once you solve your clutch hydraulics problem, try free-revving the car a few times to 5000RPM and see if it unsticks. It worked for me.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:11 AM

I didn't upgrade to a stainless line because it took an extra week to get. Its still sitting here I was considering putting it on but I ll probably just sell it to someone.

Thanks for the help

'02 Subaru WRX 2.5L, SR40 turbo, MRT TMIC, RA gears, ACT clutch & flywheel
'06 Chevy Cobalt SS GM Stg 2 G85 lsd
'94 Acura Integra GSR sold
'99 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 2" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, 20" Procomp Knight Khrome wheels sold
'92 Acura Integra RS sold
'04 CRF450R '86 TRX250R
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM
TR Shop Mod

Originally Posted by jblaine
I can't tell you what you did when you bled the clutch line.

Your gear selection problem is very likely due to the clutch rotating assembly being stuck to the flywheel -- pressing the clutch pedal is not actually disengaging your clutch from the flywheel. This can happen in humid/rainy climates after a few days of sitting.

Once you solve your clutch hydraulics problem, try free-revving the car a few times to 5000RPM and see if it unsticks. It worked for me.
+1
I've had stick before as well....and had all the same symptoms. Couldnt get mine to unstick though.