Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

The Truth about OpenECU

Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 PM
I use a Mad scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn i learned something here myself.......
Old 01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm Slow

holy shot a SS post. Where have I been Nice post SS

550/550
Old 01-31-2007, 03:55 PM

To be honest i dont see any real differences between either product. Many people are getting positive results with both softwares, but I do understand how Ecutek would be pissed at the movement (maybe a certain company). It all boils down to choice, there are people like myself and platinm that like the pice of mind of having a 'pro' tuner workin on our cars. Its the same thing as people who pay for a brand name exhuast (HKs Greddy etc.) and those who choose to have one made at a muffler shop. As far as im concerned ill stick with SS, but more power to Snowman for leading the way on the open source tuning in Tampa Bay. Do whatever you guys feel comofortable with.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:57 PM
KAX

What EcuTek is complaining about is American capitalism. In the micro scale of things, equilibrium pricing for a competitive market equates to zero profit. Thats the way it is supposed to work. The only way to make profit is to lower costs, which will then again lead to a zero profit margin as competition lowers costs and in turn lowers price to compete.

If it is that big of a problem for EcuTek, then I see no reason for them to offer products to the US. But to pull out because you have competition, that's kinda sad. There is always going to be someone who willing to undercut your price at the cost of efficiency to make an extra buck. You just have to make sure your product is better then that and actually worth the extra money. In the case of Ecutek, it hasn't shown to be, so they need to either lower their price (obviously they are capable of doing that since they just did) or re-innovate and make it better.

Unfortunately, this whole OpenECU thing has tainted EcuTek's image in my eyes. They seem to be using monopolistic tactics in a competitive market and then complaining when it doesn't work out. I've lost respect for them as a company. However, Id hate to see them bail as they were one of the pioneers of the subaru tuning community and up until OpenECU I beleived they were the best of everything and worth that extra cost. If it weren't for the fact that there are no good ecutek tuners in central florida, i wouldn't be planning on going OpenECU, but having the ability to drive to tampa for the weekend and get a tune just beats the hell out of organizing a trip for scott to come down. Before I saw how happy people were with Snow, I didn't even consider it. But everyone seems happy, so I see no reason not to try it.

/novel

Last edited by KAX; 01-31-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 PM
MPG FTW!

^^^ Very well put
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM
CHILLING SPREE!!!

Hey Scott!

Hypotheitically speaking, if one were to overwrite an EcuTek with an Open ECU tune, is that license null and void? Could one go back to an EcuTek tuner with no issues?

SnowMan Tuned
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 PM

if you dumped the rom with the ecutek on it first and then flashed enginuity you may be able to flash the ecutek and still have there license. I would not try it.

Honestly the guys at enginuity have put alot of hours into adding definition for may manufactures and models (I heard the had defs for some mustangs i dont see ecutek with that).

6 letters spell it, 5 lifters be ticking on it, 4 cams spinning on it, 3in cutout on it, 2 heads flowing on it, 1 turbo creeping on it, SUBARU.
Osecuroms.org Opensource Stage II 2006 wrx 281 downloads and counting
Pm me about Subaru Tuning

Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
CHILLING SPREE!!!

Originally Posted by 3gsucks
if you dumped the rom with the ecutek on it first and then flashed enginuity you may be able to flash the ecutek and still have there license. I would not try it.

Honestly the guys at enginuity have put alot of hours into adding definition for may manufactures and models (I heard the had defs for some mustangs i dont see ecutek with that).
oops!

wow mustangs! wow, this open source software thing is bigger than we think! Yup, it's a HUGE threat to software AND even ECU hardware manufacturers like TurboXS UTEC and Element Hydra.

But, you know I was thinking.... is Innovate a part of this? Think of it, hardware manufaturer, just teamed w/Tactrix, now pushes OpenECU. Now ANYONE can tune with their products. It's capitalism at it's best!!!:

eBay Motors: Innovate LC-1 & Tactrix OpenPort Tune & Reflash Bundle (item 140067673538 end time Feb-21-07 19:43:15 PST)

I can see everyone and their mama starting up a site just like this one selling their custom maps:
Open Source ECU ROMS

EcuTek is like teh Mircosoft!

edit: AND!!! Innovate advertises on Enginuity's site, BRILLIANT!

SnowMan Tuned

Last edited by djerickd; 01-31-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:40 AM
KAX

Originally Posted by djerickd
Hey Scott!

Hypotheitically speaking, if one were to overwrite an EcuTek with an Open ECU tune, is that license null and void? Could one go back to an EcuTek tuner with no issues?

im actually wondering this too. anyone have a solid answer as to yes or no?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:33 AM
mech engineer

Im not trying to single anyone out of this, but in my mind, if you spend big dollar on an sti, you should have the money for professional tuning. You have a very unique car that doesnt like new bolt ons and you want them to be tuned in. Well, SS in my mind takes his time and pulls out every tweak. He is a picky person and thats what makes him a great tuner.

For me, i could never go with Enginuity, OpenECU, or any tuner for that matter other than Scott. For the amount of air time i have talk with him, i would feel terrible trying something new.

So, as obvious as it is, I stand by SS 100%. I would rather spend the money on a program professionally.