Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Morette headlight Painting

Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
JD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morette headlight Painting

I have Morette headlights for my 02 WRX and I want to repaint them cause they are going grey and they used to be black. So does any one have any tips for me on how to repaint them. I want the headlights to have a glossy shine to them not dull looking. So if any one could lend me any wisdom or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Just for decoration

Have a professional paint them.

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 12-30-2006, 07:48 PM
KAX

are you trying to paint it body color? if so, id suggest professional paint, because after you buy the paint from subaru, it wouldnt be much more expensive to just take them to a body shop.

if you just want them a normal black then follow these instructions.
go to wal-mart or something similar, buy a can of paint, primer and clear coat, also get some sand paper, 300-100 grit. Wet sand the morette covers increasing the grit as you go along until most of the old paint is gone and the plastic is smooth. Then spray a layer or two of primer letting it dry after each coat. Then when the primer is done do 4 or 5 coats of the black letting it dry between each coat. Then when you are satified with the paint quality, throw a coat or 2 of clear on it and let it dry. You are then done.

Sounds easy, but its tedious. It really isnt that expensive to get a body shop to paint them for you.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 PM
JD

Well Thanks Man.

But I am going to paint them body color wrb but I will go elsewere to find paint mabey cheaper I hope. If any one else is reading this and has more tips i would be greatful.

I will post pics when it is all done.