Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

First time changing spark plugs - Done in 45 minutes

Old 12-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Science McGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time changing spark plugs - Done in 45 minutes

After reading all the gripes about how much of a PITA spark plugs are on the WRX, I decided to see what all the proverbial 'hub-bub' was all about. And since I was at 64k, even more reason.

With the battery, washer fluid reservoir and airbox removed, it was clear that there wasn't a lot of space to work with. So, with the coils packs removed, a little bit of creative thinking was used to access the plugs. A mechanic/pit chief buddy with little-to-no Suby experience got to thinking and came up with this idea:

Tools used for the plugs themselves:
-5/8" spark plug socket, preferrably with the rubber seat
-3" extension
-3/8" ratchet

1.) Once coil packs are removed, attach 3" extension to 5/8" spark plug socket.
2.) Seat extension/socket onto plug.
3.) With extension/socket/plug connected, attach ratchet to the extension.
4.) Begin loosening spark plug. Once space no longer allows ratchet/extension/socket/plug, disconnect ratchet.
5.) Hand loosen extension/socket/plug and remove from spark plug well.
6.) Reverse steps for new plugs.

Replace coil packs. I disconnected them from the wires, but my buddy didn't. Since he's a car guru, he was done way before me on the passenger side as I had the driver's side

Cliff's Notes...

With two people with novice knowledge to the mechanical workings of Subarus, but one of those monkeys having more extensive automotive knowledge in general, we had the spark plugs changed in ~45 minutes. Conceivably, someone with experience with this 'method' could have their plugs changed in about 30-45 minutes by themselves.

I hope this helps save many-a-knuckle, having to use socket swivels, having to use rubber tubing to pull out the plugs, having to jack up the motor and ultimately having to pay $200+ at the dealership.

-Al

P.S. sorry if this is already common knowledge. And for whoever cares, I went to the NGK Iridiums BKR6EIX / stock heat range.

Just an easy rider on 4 and by 2...
Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Am I OG Yet ?

bla in can do mine in 10 :0
Old 12-06-2006, 04:28 AM

not for nothing but would it be a suffiecient mod to go with the one step colder plugs or those a waste of time unless i had some crazy setup cause im lookin to change out my plugs soon too
Old 12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Science McGee

I've read that one range colder plugs aren't necessary until you go as far as upgrading the turbo, etc on the WRXs.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm Slow

Nice write up. Want to help me change mine?

550/550
Old 12-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Gravel fiend

Originally Posted by 05_Flat_Faw
not for nothing but would it be a suffiecient mod to go with the one step colder plugs or those a waste of time unless i had some crazy setup cause im lookin to change out my plugs soon too
The rule of thumb is that for every 100hp you increase, you should go 1 step colder.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Science McGee

Originally Posted by I'm Slow
Nice write up. Want to help me change mine?
Hey...

Thanks for the props! Sorry for the late reply, but I am down. I have to go to the Dr's for a physical on Sunday morning then I plan on doing some other maintenance on my car. Hit me up...

-Al