Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

i have no gears!

Old 07-17-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fat angel
weverb you're gonna have to hook me up with a ride one day. one day i will get a set of kaaz gears, just want to feel what they are like.
I just cannot get over how the car changed! It feels so much stronger and the acceleration is so much better. I noticed that when I am shifting easily (but not too slow), the rpms are only dropping like 750 to 1000 at the most. On the way home from work, I had a Ford F150 trying to keep up. We got stuck in traffic doing about 35 in a 55 but when it cleared, being in 3rd and just flooring it, the 20G started spooling to 7lbs and then faster than the tac could rise.... I was hitting 15/16psi (being conservative since the car is for sale) and running into triple digits topping out 4th. I looked back and it looked like the F150 was sitting still. I just put it into neutral to let it coast down to 75. It took the F150 awhile to catch back up. I thought that maybe he was not trying, but noticed how quickly he was starting to gain back.

fat angel and faded, I may sound like a broken record but changing the gears makes just as big or even bigger impact than changing the turbo!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Gravel fiend

Originally Posted by KAX
depending on the tranny setup of the 06 WRX (driveshaft design, axle design, etc) it could be an easy swap. the WRX gears arent weak anymore, so you shouldnt break anything. plus im sure theres someone with an 05 or 06 WRX who would take a 6-speed of your hands.
You're partially right... the gears in the 04+ WRXs aren't as weak as the 02-03 gears, but with the amount of power that faded's car is pushing, he'll break it in time.

And swapping between the 5MT and 6MT requires a new flywheel and clutch also. IIRC, the WRX 5MT uses a different half-shaft, but they could be the same coupler (or whatever you want to call it).
Old 07-18-2006, 11:59 AM
KAX

im not sure about what an 05-06 WRX runs, but i was under the assumption 05 wrx would swap with an 05 sti, but maybe not.

as for the power, you could probably get money from the wrx along with their tranny then do a gear swap.