Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Installed dual 27mm sway bars...and other stuff

Old 06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed dual 27mm sway bars...and other stuff

Just put in the white line dual 27mm sway abrs with kartboy endlinks and upgraded rear mounts.

As you can imagine there is a very large difference. The car flattened right out and you can all of a sudden notice flex in the tires. Turn in and response is vastly improved. The car feels much more communicative (dont know if thats a word). It has decidedly shifted the balance to that of neutral to perhaps even slightly more rearward. This is just one part of a total package that I am installing to attempt to make one of the best handling STIs, so its not quite done. The KW V3 coilovers and whitline lateral links should be in tomorrow. The setup should be done next week.

Ride quality on uneven surfaces has definitely gone down. These are not for everyone.

I also recently installed whiteline steering rack bushings which most people know is a must and the ALK which seems to also work great.

As soon as i am done with the total setups, I will post links to all my writeups for those that are interested.

Last edited by tkrskyline; 06-20-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
4 doors & 6 on the floor

com·mu·ni·ca·tive
adj.
  1. Tending or serving to communicate
  2. Of or relating to communication.
com·muni·cative·ly adv.
com·muni·cative·ness n.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:08 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

HAHA...nice. I figured it was right
Old 06-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Just for decoration

27mm

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 06-21-2006, 06:42 AM
rv7

Originally Posted by tkrskyline
Just put in the white line dual 27mm sway abrs with kartboy endlinks and upgraded rear mounts.

As you can imagine there is a very large difference. The car flattened right out and you can all of a sudden notice flex in the tires. Turn in and response is vastly improved. The car feels much more communicative (dont know if thats a word). It has decidedly shifted the balance to that of neutral to perhaps even slightly more rearward. This is just one part of a total package that I am installing to attempt to make one of the best handling STIs, so its not quite done. The KW V3 coilovers and whitline lateral links should be in tomorrow. The setup should be done next week.

Ride quality on uneven surfaces has definitely gone down. These are not for everyone.

I also recently installed whiteline steering rack bushings which most people know is a must and the ALK which seems to also work great.

As soon as i am done with the total setups, I will post links to all my writeups for those that are interested.
I know that many people swear by the 27mm up front, but 27mm in the rear seems HUGE! Sounds like it is working well for you, so that is all that matters. Also, I was under the impression that only the '04's needed the steering rack bushings? I thought that Subaru changed them to something more adequate for '05/'06.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by JonWRX
27mm
+1. I thought my Cusco 22mm rear was beefy. I cant imagine what a 27mm would feel like.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:37 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

They did change the rack bushing design and supposedly improved them, but i can tell you first hand, it was a night and day difference

I have noticed that i picked up a pretty bad clunk on bumpy corners in teh rear since the sway bars...probably somthing loose, but i will update

The reason for the heavy or equal rear bar is to aid in rotating the car quicker. The KWs also have custom spring rates and valving with almost equal front and rear rates. The rates are also not terrbibly stiff since the bars do a lot of the work which retains some ride quality. The rear track width will be decreased which allows even more turn in and fits larger wheels/tires. When its done it will fit at least a 9" wheel with a 275 tire. This is all an experimental, but our suspension guru swears by it and claims with this setup, track times will be on par or better than equally modified evos.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
rv7

WOW, 275's in the rear is massive for our cars, I can't wait to see what they look like. Please post pics once they're mounted.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

You can see what it looks like on the dynocomp time attack car. They run a 9" wheel with 275 on a similar setup. I Requires bring in teh rear track width by using both upper camber plates and adjustable lateral links, rolling the insides of the fender well and lip, rolling the front fenders, and removing the front fender liner. After all that it barely fits