Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Need New brake pads

Old 04-24-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New brake pads

Called subaru and they want to charge 190 an axle to change the breaks and re surface the rotors. This is my frist time changing breaks on this car, so i was wondering if that is a good deal or can i go to like a meineke or something that charge 30 dollars an axle. any help on where to get done would be very appreciated.

Also, i want to get better brake pads, i was looking at the hawk pads and i also saw cobb brake pads. any of you guys use any of these two pads, and do they last a while. my car is a daily driver but i have 43000 miles on my car and this is my first brake replacement. Any opinions on these would be great. Also, if i get these brake pads will i have to get anything else to have them fit like the oem brakes?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:35 PM
*Big Schpellar*

get the hawk pads, NOT the hawk plus`s ( they are really noisy under light breaking)

braided lines, and some good fluid. the Brake Man stuff is the best for the price or some dot 5.1

how bad are your rotor`s? might want to look at getting some treated replacements.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 PM

yea i have to get the front rotors re surfaced. so hawk pads are good. can a meineke or some kind of brake shop install braided lines? and can i go to them to get my pads installed or is it mandatory to go to the dealership?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
*Big Schpellar*

you can do it yourself if you have any know how at all.

but pretty much anywher eis cheaper than the stealership. bu tthe quality of work on the other hand is a differant story.

if your up for a little drive and would like to get some more info on your car with a real person that is knowledgeable (sp) why not take a trip out to CUE Auto-restyling?

href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/maps/extmap;_...s&BFKey=&mag=2">
Map of
35924 State Road 54<br>Zephyrhills, FL 33541-2243<br></a></center>

Last edited by BrewPuBeaver; 04-24-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:48 AM

I've got Carbotech Bobcats (F&R) here & I really like them
S.S. brake lines & Motul for fluid...might as well do those three things when your working on it
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 AM
Just for decoration

Originally Posted by byerly0137
Called subaru and they want to charge 190 an axle to change the breaks and re surface the rotors. This is my frist time changing breaks on this car, so i was wondering if that is a good deal or can i go to like a meineke or something that charge 30 dollars an axle. any help on where to get done would be very appreciated.

Also, i want to get better brake pads, i was looking at the hawk pads and i also saw cobb brake pads. any of you guys use any of these two pads, and do they last a while. my car is a daily driver but i have 43000 miles on my car and this is my first brake replacement. Any opinions on these would be great. Also, if i get these brake pads will i have to get anything else to have them fit like the oem brakes?

thanks in advance.
Just take your brakes apart, its maybe 6 bolts, replace the pads, take off the rotors and take them to get turned. If you just get cheap pads it should cost you maybe 60 bucks do yourself. I need to replace pads and turn my rotors but I think im going to wait and get a set of drilled and/or slotted rotors and have them cryoed (sp). Trust me, Its very very easy and you are wasting money not doing it yourself.

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 04-25-2006, 08:38 AM

yea ive gotten stuff installed there and will get more parts installed there in the future but for break pads im trying to stay local. (bradenton area)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:01 PM

My opinion: Don't turn your rotors. A turned rotor is a useless piece of metal. Also, replacing pads is as simple as replacing a light bulb. Again, don't turn you rotors no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise...really.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:16 AM

why, doesnt everyone get their rotors turned when they have gouges(spelling?) in them. so are you saying i should get new rotors as well?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Just for decoration

Originally Posted by urn_uuid_owned
My opinion: Don't turn your rotors. A turned rotor is a useless piece of metal. Also, replacing pads is as simple as replacing a light bulb. Again, don't turn you rotors no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise...really.

Elaborate...

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008