Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

What would you do???

Old 01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
1 Bad Wagon!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went over to Mastro today to get a camber bolt and I talked to Bill in the parts dept. The man definetley knows his stuff. He gave me some advise and ideas of what to do.

So I'm considering it.

Possible mods are:
APS Up Pipe, Turbo-back Exhaust and Cold Air intake, along with an Ecutek Reflash. But he did tell me that if I went with a Prodrive kit it has all of that for under $2k only down side to the Prodrive is cannot upgrade after its done.

I've heard he's a pretty good tuner, any of you have him tune your car?
If so how was it?

just curious to hear your opinions on this.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:03 AM
*Big Schpellar*

this is just my opinion but having your car tuned by a dealer just seems like a bad idea.

plus there has been a lot of issues with that deal lately.

the choice is yours but if i was going to have my car tuned i would want a proffessinal doing it, not someone that does it as a side gig, or works for the dealer.

you ever get on their bad side they have just cause to void-black list you.

and yes they will say they dont have the power but that is BS. they recomend it to SOA, and it happends
Old 01-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Too Much is ALMOST Enough

Originally Posted by WRXBDBY
Well I went over to Mastro today to get a camber bolt and I talked to Bill in the parts dept. The man definetley knows his stuff. He gave me some advise and ideas of what to do.

So I'm considering it.

Possible mods are:
APS Up Pipe, Turbo-back Exhaust and Cold Air intake, along with an Ecutek Reflash. But he did tell me that if I went with a Prodrive kit it has all of that for under $2k only down side to the Prodrive is cannot upgrade after its done.

I've heard he's a pretty good tuner, any of you have him tune your car?
If so how was it?

just curious to hear your opinions on this.
My car was tuned by Bill and it ran like poo. It had the hesitation when you shift and it would backfire alot. I would wait for Doug from Topspeed or Scott Siegal from Subaru of Gwinett to get in town and have either of them tune it.

I would do a VF22, STi pinks (565cc), 3" TBE, at least an STi TMIC, and Ecutek. HKSWRX is selling a USDM and a JDM STi TMIC FS. My friend has a VF22, pinks, TBE, and a UTEC and his car pulls hard.

I have STi pinks, a MRT non-flex up pipe, and a MRT divorced downpipe for sale, pm me if you're interested.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:52 AM

Ecutek.....
The AP is a more advanced setup.....& Jon with TDC is second to none when it comes to Protuning!
Go with the G35
Old 01-21-2006, 03:58 AM
Too Much is ALMOST Enough

Originally Posted by Wukindada
Ecutek.....
Ecutek is the only piggyback/reflash I have experienced in the Subaru world so I cant say any other piggyback/reflash is better or worse than it. I ditched Ecutek for an AEM EMS.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Giggity Giggity Gone

hey frankie are you talking about mikes wrx that has the vf22?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:53 PM
TR Shop Mod

Ecutek.....
The AP is a more advanced setup.....& Jon with TDC is second to none when it comes to Protuning!
Go with the G35
Its not the platform...its the tuner. Try not to confuse the 2 (or anyone else who reads your post). Please explain how the AP is "more advanced"

Glad to hear that you're happy with your new AP PT.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Shaggin' Wagon IV

You'll have to spend plenty of money just to get to STi performance and once there, reliability goes out the window. (I know this first hand with my wagon). I would start with a better drivetrain platform with a jdm longblock (2.0L w/forged internals) and tranny or with the usdm version (2.5L). Or, sell your current wagon and get an '06 wagon and join the 2.5L crowd with a brand new car.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:26 PM

Does Ecutek have Realtime mapping? Swith maps while the car is running....sitting at a light?
Old 01-22-2006, 12:28 AM
TR Shop Mod

Does Ecutek have Realtime mapping? Swith maps while the car is running....sitting at a light?
Maybe a 20-30min light or is that just for the initial map. With that said, you're not gonna suck me into this argument....

As I stated earlier "EcuTEK or an AP PT" as a tuning option.
They both have basically the same capabilities as they modify the same maps that the ECU uses...the difference is the fingers on the keyboard doing the tuning. Just because you had a bad experience with an EcuTEK flash doesnt mean its an inferior tuning solution.

Shoot, even Trey Cobb says the same thing...

As for the tuning side of things, you should get basically equal results with both systems. They are both tools to tune the data in the ECU, its up to the tuner to get that data right for your car. As with any pair of competing products, you'll have your various sides or "camps". Based on the misconceptions often posted about ProTUNER/StreetTUNER, I'd say we've done a worse job of getting factual information out about our system.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...3&postcount=10