Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

For all you Bald tire guys, John this means you too

Old 09-30-2005, 03:40 AM
*Big Schpellar*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down For all you Bald tire guys, John this means you too

if you need to change i tire, might want to spend the money for all 4 if the tread wear is more than 25%

the dealers usually will look at measurements of the treads. The reason why it's a big deal is because if you are too far off, then you have different diameters in tire size. Therefore it puts stress on the drivetrain (differentials and eventually, tranny). That's why it's a big deal. Dealerships are not going to forewarn you of this because it could be a loss of a sale due to maintenance costs.

i know it has been addressed befor, but i thought i would bring it up again
Old 09-30-2005, 04:53 AM
Rraawwrr!!

You also have to make sure the pressure is the same, something like 34lbs in the front and 32lbs in the back.

I'm actually currently saving for tires, should I go for Nitto 555's? The tire salesman is trying to sell me into his "Hankuk" tire... its only 89 bucks a tire and he says they are just as good.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:22 AM
El Mas turboso

Hankook tires are pretty good if you buy the right ones, but $89 tires are not going to be performance tires, maybe decent all weather rubber.

My brother-in-law had some on his SRT4 before it was totaled, he liked them better than the factory ones.

2002 Subaru WRX
1988 Honda Civic Hatch
Old 09-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Rraawwrr!!

good lookin out
Old 09-30-2005, 06:30 AM
*Big Schpellar*

falkins are good tires for the $$$
Old 09-30-2005, 07:22 AM

The 450's that are on them get pretty good mileage, plus they are all weather. Keep in mind that I purchased them in Michigan. If I were to get new tires I would have gone with the 555's because you only need about two season tires here. When ever you get 30K out of performace tires you are doing pretty well. They may not be the best, but you tend to run your tires until they are drag radials , so I think that they would be good for you. Faded might be right about the 555's, I have never had them.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Rock Star

Definitely replace all 4. When I got a flat in one of the fronts, I just got the 2 fronts done ( I didn't know that all 4 should be replaced on a AWD vehicle). A week later the road was a little wet from some rain, and I spun out, even though I was only going like 25 mph. Ended up barely hitting some guardrail, but it hit where everything meets in the front corner and ended up being $5000 in damage.