Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Question About ECUTEK

Old 09-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Rraawwrr!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About ECUTEK

My question is simple, but it must first begin with a story, I met a guy who had Cobb Accessport, and was moving over to ecutek, I began to speak to him about the link system, because of the Anti-Lag feature. He told me that ECUTEK does Anti-Lag now...

Is this true?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Subaru/Evo Parts Hookup!

Allthough I'd be happy to sell an ecutek, I'd suggest checking out a turboxs utec. I personally had 2, 1 for my wrx, 1 for my evo. Unless you plan on making 600whp, the utec has been proven to make power reliably with base maps and/or tuned by a professional.
2009 GTR
www.IMPORTIMAGERACING.COM
With over $10million sold, 30,000+ happy customers, over 100 brands to chose from, at the best pricing...best customer service...No wonder so many choose Import Image!
Old 09-09-2005, 05:28 AM
The NExt Brian O' Conner

anitlag on stock turbo would be over kill and could blow the motor, anti lag is mostly in aussie and thier motors a lil different then here
Old 09-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Rraawwrr!!

I'm not saying I wan't anti-lag, I wanted to know whether ECUTEK was cabable of anti-lag?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:37 AM
*Big Schpellar*

no! if you do it with a flash your asking your engine to blow

this is like the 20th person that wants to know or have anti lag. it isnt really feesable until you have a built motor. do people know what a Anti lag system is???

When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40° or more of delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer. The inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector is used to maintain air supply to the engine. This results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates. The ignition being delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. Additionally, the exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes at the contact of the exhaust tubes. Luckily the turbo sits right there and the explosion keeps it turning (otherwise it would slow down since its intake, the exhaust gases, is cut-off). The effect is vastly lower response times with some downsides:

A quick rise of the turbocharger's temperature (which jumps from ~800°C or 1400 degrees to the 1100°C+ or over 2000 degrees) whenever the system is activated

A huge stress on the exhaust manifold and pipes (mounted on a street car a bang-bang system would destroy the exhaust system within 50 miles

The turbo produces significant boost even at engine idle speeds

The explosions which occur in the exhaust tubes generate important flames which can, sometimes, be seen at the end of the exhaust tube(FLAMES!!!)

Last edited by BrewPuBeaver; 09-09-2005 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Five Mile Style Baby!!

yeah, what brew said!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Subaru/Evo Parts Hookup!

Utec has launch control...which is the same thing...spools the turbo while standing still
2009 GTR
www.IMPORTIMAGERACING.COM
With over $10million sold, 30,000+ happy customers, over 100 brands to chose from, at the best pricing...best customer service...No wonder so many choose Import Image!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 AM
*Big Schpellar*

there is a differance between the 2... launch control and anti lag.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Gravel fiend

Aside from detonating fuel only when then driver lets off the gas (i.e. shifts), some anti-lag systems only use 1 cylinder to keep the turbo spooled as such, and rotate it. Also, there's something called rotational idle which helps pump some cooling into the exhaust. I'm not 100% sure if it just pushes cold, un-combusted air (no fuel) through or if it just doesn't fire the spark plug and left the raw fuel absorb the heat of the headers/turbo for cooling effect (like how dumping more fuel into a cylinder lowers EGT, to a certain point).

Anti-lag should only be used in racing situations. I.E., not every day use. Honestly, John, I hadn't heard that the full EcuTek can run Anti-lag.

From EcuTek's news page on their website: (http://www.ecutek.com/news search for anti-lag)
Ken Cole, of Rally Performance (based in Pennsylvania, USA) noted that the Gingras Rally Sport team had approached them earlier in the year about an ECU remap using EcuTek technology. "Steve was curious about replacing the Link ECU that they were running in the car at the time. We had a candid discussion about the capabilities of a remapped ECU; although he was giving up anti-lag, he felt that the EcuTek could get him a better end product without the headaches.
I would take this as a no, they don't. However, I did find an "Anti-lag/Map selector switch" for a UTEC at Kastle's Korner. Take that for what you will. The list of features for a UTEC didn't outright say they can do anti-lag.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:27 AM
*Big Schpellar*

personally i feel the whole ANTI lag system is old technolgy. a lot of rally cars anent using it anymore cause of the new turbo and fuel systems out there.

but each to his own. and no i am not hating just cause i dont want it....