Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Great chance on getting an Impreza.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:53 AM
1Cam4Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great chance on getting an Impreza.

Alright, please bare with me. i might be getting a 95-01 body style impreza, but i have a lot of questions. what exact years is this body style? is it AWD? can it be converted? it comes with the 2.5 motor, but is it turbo? does it have a Jdm motor? is that turbo (I really want turbo)? just curious, would the ej20(sti right) swap in? what motors do swap in? What are the engine codes? thats all i can remember right now. im pretty fucking sick of honda. i keep gettin fucked over and my luck sucks. my options are wide, but ive always wanted an Impreza. im depending on yalls knowledge. thanks for you patients with a newbie.

p.s. If your going to be an asshole, like most idiots on TR, dont bother. you bullshit will be ignored.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Rraawwrr!!

From what I know, some of them are FWD, you need to look for an AWD car in particular. I don't think those older imprezas came with turbo, but I know you can get a different exhaust manifold and bolt a turbo on...
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 AM
El Mas turboso

Originally Posted by UrbanRacerH23
Alright, please bare with me. i might be getting a 95-01 body style impreza, but i have a lot of questions. what exact years is this body style? is it AWD? can it be converted? it comes with the 2.5 motor, but is it turbo? does it have a Jdm motor? is that turbo (I really want turbo)? just curious, would the ej20(sti right) swap in? what motors do swap in? What are the engine codes? thats all i can remember right now. im pretty fucking sick of honda. i keep gettin fucked over and my luck sucks. my options are wide, but ive always wanted an Impreza. im depending on yalls knowledge. thanks for you patients with a newbie.

p.s. If your going to be an asshole, like most idiots on TR, dont bother. you bullshit will be ignored.
Most Subaru guys are not...........

Anyhow, Some did come FWD, I believe they started all being AWD in 98, not so sure, but I'm sure you can find the info on the internet. Converting to AWD, everything is possible with a lot of money, but I would recommend you get an car that is already AWD.

JDM motor, of course not, it is not a JDM car it probably will be based on a JDM motor but modified for our emissions. Turbo, not from the factory, they started coming turbo with the Impreza WRX in 2002 to the USA. The 2.5rs was a WRX looking model but with a NA 2.5 engine.

Can you do a swap. of course you can. There's a couple of guys here with 2.5rs' with STi engines. I guess it will depend on the year car you will get. On this I don't know that much, but research is your friend.

Hope this helps a little.

2002 Subaru WRX
1988 Honda Civic Hatch
Old 08-30-2005, 06:55 AM

Yes 98's are AWD Though most of them have the old Legacy bumper, most of them have already converted the bumper to the 99-01.This link tells you a lil about the differences on the years. (98-01) And gives a lil preformance info.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677570

If you turbo the engine that's in the rs's (2.5L) you have to watch it very carefully. The engines are known for blowing the head gaskets. After a certain year, I believe they fixed this problem but I can't remember what year that was. Most of the people who have rs's did alot of research before doing it, or they just a V7 swap into it. (Wrx engine into our cars) Ryan would be the person to talk to about this, sense he just did one.

If you want to learn more about subaru's, like the other guy said, just do a search. If you go to www.nasioc.com they have everything all sorted out for you in sections. Sense you're looking into gettin an RS, I would say hit up www.rs25.com also. There isn't at much that goes on there as nasioc, but as you can tell it's for the RS's.

Subaru people are more like a family. You'll find most of the population mature, though there are a few pricks. We have a meet this Saturday, come out, join us for food (over 21, you can drink too), and talk a bit about subarus. You are more than welcome to hit me up on a messenger or just send me a PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Rraawwrr!!

Originally Posted by sera
Yes 98's are AWD Though most of them have the old Legacy bumper, most of them have already converted the bumper to the 99-01.This link tells you a lil about the differences on the years. (98-01) And gives a lil preformance info.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677570

If you turbo the engine that's in the rs's (2.5L) you have to watch it very carefully. The engines are known for blowing the head gaskets. After a certain year, I believe they fixed this problem but I can't remember what year that was. Most of the people who have rs's did alot of research before doing it, or they just a V7 swap into it. (Wrx engine into our cars) Ryan would be the person to talk to about this, sense he just did one.

If you want to learn more about subaru's, like the other guy said, just do a search. If you go to www.nasioc.com they have everything all sorted out for you in sections. Sense you're looking into gettin an RS, I would say hit up www.rs25.com also. There isn't at much that goes on there as nasioc, but as you can tell it's for the RS's.

Subaru people are more like a family. You'll find most of the population mature, though there are a few pricks. We have a meet this Saturday, come out, join us for food (over 21, you can drink too), and talk a bit about subarus. You are more than welcome to hit me up on a messenger or just send me a PM.

You really should be careful when taking advice from this person, PLUS SHES A GIRLLLLLLL
Old 08-30-2005, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by HKSWRX
You really should be careful when taking advice from this person, PLUS SHES A GIRLLLLLLL

Like the screen name didn't give it away.....and girls are better than boys
Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 AM
TR Shop Mod

Originally Posted by UrbanRacerH23

The chassis code for those years is a GC
It comes with a EJ25 N/A SOHC engine

Here would be the most easily obtained engines for a turbo swap...
USDM EJ205 = 2.0L turbo WRX engine used in all 2002-2005 WRX
USDM EJ255 = 2.5L turbo engine used in US Forester XT & Legacy 2.5L turbo
USDM EJ257 = 2.5L turbo engine used in the STi

not so easy (or cheap) but worth it...
JDM EJ207 = 2.0L turbo WRX STi engine used in all 1999 to current STi models

p.s. you won't find much if any TRama here in the Suby section
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 AM
...in da hause!!!

I do believe the Subaru community is most close-knit community on Tampa Racing. It seems everyone knows everyone. Pretty much everyone here is cool/mature.

If you're interested in an engine swap or even a turbo kit, contact Craig at CUE Auto Restyling. He just performed a JDM STi V7 swap into a 2001 2.5RS and is itching to do another

Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by SnowMann
The chassis code for those years is a GC
It comes with a EJ25 N/A SOHC engine
Actually you have a GC or GM, but it's pretty universal to say GC8, sense everything pretty much swaps. It's just the difference of a coupe to a seden.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:54 AM
*Big Schpellar*

Originally Posted by HKSWRX
From what I know, some of them are FWD, you need to look for an AWD car in particular. I don't think those older imprezas came with turbo, but I know you can get a different exhaust manifold and bolt a turbo on...

talk about not taking advice from someone..... if you think all it takes is a differant exhaust mainifold you are a complete moron....