Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

what is this??

Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 AM
TTwins are my fav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fadedSTi

is it something to insulate the heat to keep the piping cold? looks like its made up of a foil

yep.

you'll notice that your chargepipe will heatsoak badly (if its not one thing, itsanother....lol)

this helps to reflect the heat radiating from the motor, so as to keep the inlet pipe as cool as possible.

i was after a similar solution, as my chargepipe (reversed from yours) would get scorching hot after a little time. what you DONT wanna do is wrap it though. you dont wanna insulate the pipe to keep heat in, but rather do the opposite.

the gold colour looks cool, but i imagine the colour will fade after awhile (not sure what it is made up of, but gold coloured chrome- vinyl does the same thing).

on an aside, joe's APS crinkle coated pipes were ALWAYS cooler than my hi-polished ones.... it could be that the P/C keep em cooler feeling, or kept em better insulated.....

i would (if i had it to solve) try to get a reflectant tape/wrap for the charge inlet side (only). keep in mind, the other side is gonna be cooled once it passes thru 'the box', so you really neednt do em both.......

nice pic, btw......

www.gsxRpaddock.com <---gsxR research, solutions, & support
www.iWSTi.com <---STi research, solutions, & support
www.TOPSPEEDsales.com <---STi premier tuning and performance
Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 AM
...in da hause!!!

That's waht it'd seem like, simply due to the fact that it's on the cold pipe...

Old 08-21-2005, 07:56 AM
TTwins are my fav

ifnot, check out AE's import section. i believe they have the regular silver reflectant heat tape...........

www.gsxRpaddock.com <---gsxR research, solutions, & support
www.iWSTi.com <---STi research, solutions, & support
www.TOPSPEEDsales.com <---STi premier tuning and performance