Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Oil Question

Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 AM
PWN5 J00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question

ok I know this has probaly been asked before so dont flame me!!!

I have an 04 WRX with 20,000 miles on it. And I want to do an oilchange this weekend, right now the car has regular oil in it and I want to switch to synthetic.

My questions is can I just go ahead and switch over to synthetic, or should I go blend first then move to synthetic???

Also what type of synthetics do you guys recommend?

And in refrence to the oil filter... I was goign to go with the K&N Oil Filter (I have used them in teh past and was very happy) but it doesnt come with a new crush washer.. Do I really need to get a new one??? I ask because my friend has been using the same one for liek 3 years now.. LOL

- Mike
Old 08-12-2005, 03:59 PM

I use the OEM oil filter and Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm sure you don't need new crush rings unless your car begins to leak oil.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:16 PM
oneslowwrx

i dint like synthetic, i used to use Royal Purple but my car burned it to fast, i know a couple of other WRX with the same problem
Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Gravel fiend

If you switch over too "late", it will tend to burn a little more oil. I'm not sure if 20k is past that point, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. If anything you'll see a little more oil consumption, and you can pick up on that pretty easily. I switched at 3000 miles and my car only really burns oil when I'm beating the piss out of it on the Dragon.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:09 PM
is cooler than you

I heard you're not really supposed to switch till around 10k miles. That's when I did it. I use Mobil 1 if it's a do-it-yourself at home oil change, and if I let Mastro do it, usually I get Motul. And the crush washer thing is important. Mine seems to be seeping just a bit of oil w/o a new one, so I suppose I should get a stockpile of them from the dealer next time I'm there.