Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Launching tips

Old 08-03-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching tips

Yes another launch thread. So I went to Sunshine tonight. Got 5 runs in and all of my 60' times were well above 2.00. The technique I used was to rev to 4k and blip the throttle between 4-5k. On the second yellow I floored it and stepped off the clutch with the "just stepped in dogshit" method. This was netting me nothing as the car bogged and fell on its face (revs dropped to ~2.5k). I decided I was letting the clutch out too fast and on the next run I slipped it a bit slower. This netted me my best time:

r/t..... .575
60'..... 2.232
1/8.... 9.984
mph... 69.71

The rest of the runs were 2.3-2.4 60' and about 10.2 1/8. Traps were consistent at 69.xx. So Im about 4 tenths off of a good 60', 9 tenths off of a good 1/8th, and 5mph off of a good trap. I bogged every run, so Im wondering what the cure is for that. I know its a common problem when first dragging the car, but what did you guys do different to get rid of it?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Down South Supplier

i do 5.5-6k bounce and then slip it like you stepped in shit...works great, cut at LEAST 1.9's every time

Originally Posted by blacksti
stop trying to be cool telling people you kicked me out of your tree house lmao dude fs is gay get over it
Originally Posted by antibling
bob you are just way too cool
Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
...in da hause!!!

Oh hey, that was you -- blue WRX? I was there with 91-turbo-laser...you might've seen my STi parked on the side.

Anyway....Don't fret it man -- my first run in my STi was a 15.11 @ 101 1/4mile because I had never launched an AWD car. 13 more times down the track I got it down to a 13.48 @ 101.84, no change in car from the first week.

I found that if I simply step off the clutch like I stepped in a pile of dog shit, the car either bogs or bakes the clutch. I found that if I hold it around 5500rpm, let off the clutch a tiny bit to get it moving, then mash the gas while stepping off the clutch rather quickly, I can get a pretty good run. Don't know my 60' because they werent handing out slips =(

Old 08-04-2005, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Balboa
Oh hey, that was you -- blue WRX? I was there with 91-turbo-laser...you might've seen my STi parked on the side.

Anyway....Don't fret it man -- my first run in my STi was a 15.11 @ 101 1/4mile because I had never launched an AWD car. 13 more times down the track I got it down to a 13.48 @ 101.84, no change in car from the first week.
Yep that was me. I wasnt expecting to get under a 2.0 with the car. I mean like I said it was my first time at the track. But I did do worse than I would have liked. I think that when I decided to go slower with the clutch on that best run, I started going too slow. I didnt smell any burnt clutch on any runs, but I still think I overcompensated. When you guys are all the way off the clutch after you launch what do your rpm's end up at? Im going to be practicing on the street some and I figure thats the best way for me to know how well Im doing with no slips. Maybe Ill head back to Sunshine next week too so I dont embarass myself at the Subbie/SRT shootout.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:12 AM
who stole my intercooler?

bounce if off the revlimiter & pop the clutch, should yeild 1.7's all day long.

my RS pulled 2.0-2.1's the one time i went
Old 08-04-2005, 07:18 AM
could be worse

thats not to bad for a first time out. my first time I got a best of a 2.1, but that was rwd. you will get alot better

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 08-04-2005, 07:38 AM
*Big Schpellar*

Originally Posted by mofugga
this is how i do it. but now i have to drive around my clutch shutter.... but when my car ran a 12.9 i was very happy
Old 08-04-2005, 07:55 AM
El Mas turboso

Originally Posted by mofugga

my RS pulled 2.0-2.1's the one time i went

Just be afraid of hearing a loud bang, adn then some heavy grinding....

Then you have to call the tow truck and pick up the pieces from the track....

Seriuosly now, this will give you great times until your tranny breaks. The best way is to ease off the clutch pedal and as soon as the car starts moving you can let go. If you drop it it won't last too long. Its a WRX tranny.

2002 Subaru WRX
1988 Honda Civic Hatch