Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

STi turbo upgrade question

Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Science McGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not so much the 'need' a FMIC, although it would be nice, but basically I believe you can still use the TMIC you have now for just about any application. FMIC's are nice, and greatly reduce the possibility of 'heat soak,' but on the downside they do produce a tad more lag. I'm no expert by any means, but perhaps the extended piping causes this. My friend with the VF30 noticed a difference when he had the Vishnu TMIC and then swtiched to the MRT FMIC.

Regarding specific turbo applications...
I'm not sure on how to answer this question, but, again, referring to what my buddy did with his MY02 WRX, he's pushin the IHI VF30 and is very happy with it. It is pretty much a direct replacement... with all the necessary fuel delivery and EM of course.

-Al-

Just an easy rider on 4 and by 2...
Old 03-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Doughnut Grease

Well if you want to see any good number you will need a FMIC. I still have my stock VF39 in mine, just like esemes. We do not see more HP because of the FMIC but considering our next step this is a must. APS states that the SR 40 is more for the WRX than an STi. Yes you will see a gain with an SR 40, but I truly think that if you do get an SR 40 you will not see the same out come of and SR 40 with a FMIC. Plus it is a major advantage for your temps. With the FMIC you will have a signifigantly lower temp than a TMIC. With a bigger turbo you will be spooling up more are into that ESX and will it be able to cool that air down enough?

If you do go with a bigger turbo then get a FMIC. For example an SR 55 with the ESX TMIC did get dramatically lower results because it was smaller and only 330WHP. Then again I could be wrong. I was told that there was no way my DR 725 FMIC would work with my stock turbo because it was too big but guess what 16000 miles and it still kicks ass.

You don't have to go with the APS FMIC but I personally recommend it.

So lets sum it up your ESX with a SR 40? 320WHP that's my guess...

:disalvoj disclaimer: this is my .02 cents take it how you want.

My IWSTI.com Garage
"This is how I roll!" ~Jack Black
Old 03-12-2005, 05:09 AM
Doughnut Grease

Originally Posted by 02CavyZ24
thanks for the info joe
So lets get that bumper prep'd...

My IWSTI.com Garage
Old 03-12-2005, 05:14 AM
Doughnut Grease

Originally Posted by 02CavyZ24
still thinking about it. kinda waiting to see how well the #s come out on that SR55. if im going to do it, i want 400 to the wheels. im going to be patient and see how everything goes
Same here but we'll keep this for the other thread or esle we'll start all over.

My IWSTI.com Garage
Old 03-12-2005, 08:04 AM
It's soooo stock?

This looks interesting http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731696 Tim Baily is the ECUtek guy out there. Talked to him several times. He also was one of the first to recieve the flash 04 for the STi.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 AM
It's soooo stock?

Here's an quote from the above mentioned thread on NASIOC

"Being one of the resident PDX whores I'd like to post some comments regarding these guys.

This is a fantastic group of people to deal with. They run their shop like a real business with the main concern being making the customer happy. If the customer is not happy, they feel as though they have failed. This is an attitude that I do not often see in the tuning community and its a great relief to know of a group of guys making it a top priority.

Another top priority of theirs is the safety and reliability of the tune. This goes quadruple for the customers who do not live in the portlan area. They understand that it is important to give remote customers a reliable tune and just as important, support that tune.

Which brings me to my final point: support. These guys will support you to the end of the earth. If you have install questions, tuning question, car troubles, even if you haven't bought something from them, they are going to do whatever it takes to make you happy."

Kinda interesting relative to our other conversation

Quick Reply: STi turbo upgrade question