Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Anyone swapped their own flywheel?

Old 10-13-2004, 04:26 PM
danse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone swapped their own flywheel?

I've been putting this off forever, but I can't take anymore. Need to get my stock flywheel back in the car. Has anyone swapped their own? It is worth saving the money? Anyone willing to hook a brother up for some beer and pizza?

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 10-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Shaggin' Wagon IV

What flywheel are you currently running?

2011 TSX Sportwagon
Old 10-14-2004, 02:59 AM
danse

Originally posted by mantra1
What flywheel are you currently running?
Exedy racing flywheel. I believe it weighs about 12lbs.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:06 PM
TR Registered Member #5

easy. shifter and rear axle comes out like a RWD car, front axles come out like a FWD car. make sure u have ure clutch alignment tool as well.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 10-19-2004, 03:10 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally posted by TampaWRX
Exedy racing flywheel. I believe it weighs about 12lbs.
Don't like the light weight flywheel?!?
That was actually something I was considering upgrading in the future. With the Honda, light weight flywheels were a god-send. What are the negatives on a Subaru?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:06 AM
danse

Originally posted by Bill
Don't like the light weight flywheel?!?
That was actually something I was considering upgrading in the future. With the Honda, light weight flywheels were a god-send. What are the negatives on a Subaru?
From what I understand, a very finicky crank or piston velocity sensor causes the engine to think it's seeing random misfires, though there's no evidence that the car actually missed. You get a CEL and usually end up in "safe mode", i.e. pulling timing, advance, boost, etc. You will put more power to the ground, but the car won't always be happy. I think some people have found workarounds, but I am not aware of what they did to make things kosher again.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Mouthhugsarenice

Also with a lighter flywheel, you lose all potential launching ability.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:45 PM
ASM FTW!

the flywheels that are too light throw cel.. if you get an APS 13.5 lbs it will not... however any lighter i belive and they will... I have a fidanza in my supra as well and i love having lightened flywheels
Old 10-28-2004, 05:31 PM
sooo...where's the turbo?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by marksaccord95
easy. shifter and rear axle comes out like a RWD car, front axles come out like a FWD car. make sure u have ure clutch alignment tool as well.
what are you talking about? It's easier to pull the engine out with a hoist and change the clutch/flywheel that way IMO. That's how i did twice. The first time took a long ass time, but the second time was something like 3 hours. I couldn't imagine it taking longer than an extra hour to remove or move around the turbo plumbing....
Old 10-28-2004, 06:12 PM
danse

Originally posted by 2TurboImports
what are you talking about? It's easier to pull the engine out with a hoist and change the clutch/flywheel that way IMO. That's how i did twice. The first time took a long ass time, but the second time was something like 3 hours. I couldn't imagine it taking longer than an extra hour to remove or move around the turbo plumbing....
Goddamn man, pulling the fucking engine is EASIER!? The car is already running around in safe mode full time. If we're going to pull the engine, we might as well strip it down, stroke it to 2.2 with forged internals and get Mastro to figure out what the fuck is wrong with my tune (assuming it isn't the flywheel causing all these problems, which is the point of the swap). In sthort, pulling the engine=scary! You sure that's the easiest way?

Still need to get this done. Looking into some options, but will be in touch if things don't work out.

Picturing my little Scooby with its guts torn out gives me the willies!