Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

easy/cheap mods for the 2.5rs

Old 08-15-2004, 01:49 PM
clever individual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy/cheap mods for the 2.5rs

my friend has a '99 forester 2.5rs. we detached the snorkel from the airbox yesterday, and my friend noticed a significant difference.

my question is, what are some minimal engine mods that can be done? my friend doesnt really want to do anything serious (swapping parts, expensive upgrades, etc.) and just enjoys playing with his car and modifying little stuff. i hope you guys know what i mean.

more specifically, what are some of the common intake mods? he's obviously not going to be down with spending a few hundred on an AEM CAI, but he'd love to swiss cheese his airbox and drop in a k&n if its worthwhile

thanks in advance, guys
Old 08-15-2004, 03:19 PM
clever individual

Originally posted by Zate
err.. the 2.5RS and the forrester are 2 diff cars..

the forrester does have a 2.5L engine (either turbo'd or not) .. but unless its got a turbo i wouldnt waste your money.
what i meant is with the 2.5rs engine.. and i obviously am aware that the car isnt going anywhere fast, but realize where im coming from.. we're just looking for some cheap and easy DIY mods, if not maybe a little more intermediate but still easy.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:28 PM
now with more protein

Take off the cat-back
We did it to my friends WRX.
Although, with no turbo, and I dunno how many cats you have, it may be real loud.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:53 PM
clever individual

heh, yeah, of course removing exhaust is an easy mod.. i dont know if he'd want to do it though, legality issues, he might not want it to be loud, or it might not sound good.. and i cant really see how much of a gain he'll see without a turbo.