Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

PO420 - catalyst efficiency?

Old 12-23-2003, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PO420 - catalyst efficiency?

my car is putting out code "P0420" Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) ,--- its actually pulling 2 codes, but they're both the same code -----now i tried resetting it but it goes back on after 20 miles... I dont have any cats so im not worried, but is the car actually slower now that its in "limp" mode? I do have the cel fix but it doesnt seem to stop it... any ideas? is fuel economy affected as well?
I am catless, and seems like the light came on after i installed teh boost contrller... should i b worried? i dont see the connection of adding teh mbc with this code lightin up... and yea i do have that resistor that came with the helix pipe... arrgghh im a lil confused here
Old 12-23-2003, 04:01 PM
4x4

no WRX dont really have a "safe" moad...they do but it doesnt effect its performance...from what i know it doesnt...with no cats CELS are very comon it doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the car...just pointless CELs...take it to mastro if u cant fix it and see what they say but they prollly say "oh what u dont have cats that will hurt your car"...the usual BS
Old 12-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Rockin the Wagon

the CEL fix didn't work? Cause I thought once you spliced that baby in the CEL went away.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:04 PM
1337 H4x0r

What model year is your WRX? The '02-'03 0420 CEL fix isn't compatable with the '04s and vise vera. I had really good luck with the Pony Express fix on my '02. I haven't tried the '04 solution yet but I haven't heard anything negative regarding these.

2002-03: http://www.ponyexpressperformance.co...liminator.html

2004: http://www.ponyexpressperformance.co...liminator.html
Old 12-24-2003, 07:58 AM
4x4

hey Istepnio have u started to mod the STi yet?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:04 AM
1337 H4x0r

Originally posted by Skeet
hey Istepnio have u started to mod the STi yet?
Nothing really aside from the Prodrive rear section that was transplanted from my '02 WRX. I did also install a very modest car audio system.

I'm waiting on engine management to be available before I start messing with things and even when that happens I'll just be installing a downpipe.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:16 PM

I do have the resistor that came with the helix combo up/downpipe from gruppe-s, and it seemed to work fine for about 3 weeks.... but then when i added the boost controller, it came on after about 20 miles of very non-aggressive driving.. "granny style" resetted it and it would go back on after a while -- oh well, im guessin da resistor got fried, fell out, or somethin, if not, i think i'm gonna go ahead and try that one from pony express.. thanks for the tip guys