Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Hirvonen stars in first Subaru test

Old 12-22-2003, 03:19 PM
danse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hirvonen stars in first Subaru test

Looks like the new guy is getting comfortable very quickly. Good times. Maybe a 1-2 finish for Solberg and Hirvonen with a Constructor's Championship to top things off is in the cars for next season. I can dream, can't I?

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=25587&s=8
Mikko Hirvonen has had a solid first test run in his new Subaru Impreza. The man replacing Richard Burns had over 300 kilometres of running near Gap in France and ended up setting times not far off those of Petter Solberg.

“It was quite a surprise,” said Hirvonen. “I thought it would be much more difficult to get used to, but it seems very easy to drive, very stable and much smoother through the corners than I was expecting.”

“I didn't expect to develop this good feeling quite so soon, so I am very happy.”

Hirvonen drove a Ford Focus during 2003 and found that the Subaru needed a more tactful driving style. “I'm used to braking very late and very hard, but the Impreza performs better with a more progressive and smooth approach to the corners.”

The 23-year-old Finn's first experience of the Impreza was being driven through the test stage by his world champion team-mate Solberg. “I wouldn't say I enjoyed it too much – no matter who's driving, I still find sitting in the co-driver's seat pretty scary!”

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here