Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Looking to buy a WRX

Old 07-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Got traction?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a WRX

For my wife. I really don't know too much about them except they have all wheel drive and it has a turbo. What are the pros and cons of the car? What does it take to get into the 13's and 12's? What are some of the weak components of the car? I know all cars have them even my rustang. Thanks in advance. -Mark
Old 07-20-2003, 12:18 PM
ASM FTW!

It doesnt take much to put them into the 12's... bolt on parts can get you there no problem. There are even really comprehensive kits available that are designed to be end user installed that show some really really impressive numbers..

check these sites out... www.turboxs.com
www.vishnutuning.com
those are a few of the tuners,
and here are some parts websites...
www.vividracing.com
www.fastwrx.com - a bit overpriced!
and
www.redmistperformance.com ~ local
and of course you could just go down to mastro subaru and get a lot of info..

weaknesses seem to be the tranny, and parts surrounding it..
my car is lowered, 18's, brakes, boost control, intercooler piping, turboback exhaust and up pipe... i cant quantify a total output increase but.... i have nearly 50000 miles on my car, and i bought it new, so i know how it was driven... and hard is to say the least.. i hear a little second gear synchro noise to be honest, but thats my fault not the car... missed shifts, and just plain being rough with the car. if you are downright brutal, you will pay for it i suppose, but seeing how hard i am on my car, with 48,500 or so, i dont forsee it being a problem unless you make it one.. now, running 12's, your luck might not last as long, so...

hope i helped some, overall a damn fun car that has served me well...

p.s. (you owe me for this one even though im the dumbass that asks to many questions...how about a sponsor? remember, i will do A LOT, not anything... that was an accident)
Old 07-20-2003, 12:20 PM
ASM FTW!

oh yeah, bitemark... i didnt mean you owe me!

.... funny, my name is mark too...
Old 07-20-2003, 12:21 PM
ASM FTW!

and what are quality points? <-----
Old 07-20-2003, 02:11 PM
danse

Quality points determine the quality of your existence as judged by an independent panel of forum moderators and psychologists. That's my take on them anywa. Do a search on "quality points" in Free-For-All and you'll get the 'official' explanation.

As for weak points, I think Mark-722 has covered things pretty well. You've got issues with tranny that can arise if you start getting into the higher power brackets (350bhp+). I'm running a little less than that, but I try to baby the trans as much as I can around town. No 6500RPM clutch drops for me. There are those that have been beating on their trans and making big power for substantially longer than I have and not had breakages. YMMV. The big thing to remember is, all four wheels are driven so grip is extremely high. With good tires, you're not likely to get any wheel slip on a hard launch, so all the load has nowhere to go but driveline parts. Assuming nothing breaks, the car launches like a mofugga.

Get the wife an auto and you may actually bypass the tranny problems, as the automatic is widely accepted as being capable of handling higher horsepower numbers than the 5-speed. Again, YMMV.

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 07-20-2003, 02:33 PM
ASM FTW!

the auto is tougher? is that really the case, or is it just because it is so much easier of course to beat down on the manual... or... are more failures seen to the manual because they are more widely modified?? i suppose its time to do some research... awnser but a one of my redundant questions!

remember, the water boxer sounds sweet with exhaust on it!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:42 PM
"color blind kid"

How about you buy MINE!!! I replaced the weak component already so your set.

Mastro has a tight used sedan for sale for 21...
Learn how to use the feedback system! When people don't fallow through with a deal, fucking make it known! of course everyone has all positive points, no one fucking gives negatives for flakers, if you start giving negative feedbacks for flaking maybe people on tr will stop making stupid ass posts about wanting to buy shit then not showing up for the shit.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Sucks to be You!

I think that you guy's pretty much covered it all. One more thing to add... The paint SUCKS!!!!!!

Subaru's are notorious for having paint issues. Not that it flakes off and your left with huge pits but it's very thin compared with other makes and stone chips are very common to see in the paint after only 3 months. Keep it waxed regularly and it should help the situation...slightly
Old 07-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Sucks to be You!

Damn another thought.

If folding seats are an issue for your wife then go with the wagon. Sedans only have a small pass through

Or buy the Turbo Forester and fuck with all of the stock WRX crowd because you have more torque! I kinda like it better than my wagon.