Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

STi into the 12s

Old 07-16-2003, 04:47 PM
danse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi into the 12s

Not extremely fast and not worthy of "The Video Post", but thought the Subaru people might be interested. He ran a 12.88s at 106.9mph after bolting on a Turbo XS turbo-back exhaust, headers and a Green filter. Not too shabby, considering it's fairly mild mods and claimed ambient was 88degF with high humidity. I'd love to see someone putting the STi through its paces on a road circuit. Anyone up for a Sebring track day?

Click Here

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 07-16-2003, 07:05 PM
Sucks to be You!

I cant wait to see what Rigoli does with his STi. Considering that their WRX ran a 9.9, I cant fathom what they will pull off with the STi.... Maybe high 8's
Old 07-16-2003, 07:06 PM
danse

This guy drove the thing home and bolted this shite on, apparently. So much for break-in periods!

Old 07-16-2003, 07:08 PM
danse

Dirt Man - By this time next year, I bet the Rigolis have either taken the WRX or STi(what more can they do to the STi that they can't/haven't done to the WRX, after all? ) into the low 8s. :o They were in the mid-10s just last Winter, so it's not inconceivable. I just wish they'd build a road racing car. THAT would be something to see.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Sucks to be You!

Yeah that would be sweet.
Another WRX in NASA USTCC racing along side of Team SMR. Maybe an STi in World Challenge, to compete against the Audi RS6's and BMW M3's.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:58 PM
ASM FTW!

I just wonder how he aftermarket parts thing will work out... the 2.5 is a North American only motor, so id have to imagine that the EJ20 will still get more support... i still cant understand why they did that? the 2.0 in japan is rated at 276 or so in an STi, but we all know thats a load as well.... you would think that they would have maintained the 2.0... was emissions that hard to clear, that they decided it would be easier to produce big numbers out of the larger motor instead of pushing a 2.0 wfo.... who knows, im baffled
Old 07-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Sucks to be You!

Several Issues,

Americans like Torque primarily, secondly emissions and third being the fuel issue (japanese market gets different grades than we do)
Old 07-18-2003, 11:01 PM
ASM FTW!

ahh ahh, i forgot about the fuel.... and of course... 0 cats instead of 3 must be nice...
Old 07-19-2003, 05:35 PM
So now I'm a liar...

Fuel & emissions really aren't an issue. The ECU can be tuned to run with our grade gas and with a proper tune and equipment (cats, charcoal canisters, etc.) anything can pass emissions. I think in the U.S. it has more to do with the "torque" factor and the "displacement" factor of the average American. Subaru knew they could sell more cars by targeting the car toward the American market. The 3 cats on the U.S. WRX are strictly there to make the WRX qualify for the LEV emission standards, this helps Subaru in the grand CAFE standards game. For 2004 Subaru actually considered removing the cat before the turbo to slightly boost the performance for the production cars, but it increased the WRX's out put to close to 250 HP which Subaru thought was so close to the STI's output it might compromise sales of the STi.

Reversely, in Japan the car registration fees are based on the displacement and power of the motor. I doubt many would be willing to pay the extra fees associated with the .5 liters of displacement and 20-25 HP.