Thread: Lets talk tires
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 AM
dkutin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires are completely dependent upon your riding style. You stated no track days, but didn't really say how you ride street. In any case, I have never had a problem with the Michelin line up. It goes like this:

1) Aggressive Riding - Pilot Power 2CT (dual compound with very sticky edges)
2) Sport Riding - Pilot Power (dual compound with a little less sticky edges to improve wear)
3) Sport/Sport Touring - Pilot Road 2CT (dual compound with hard center for wear and same sticky edges as the Pilot Power)

I used to think I needed the sticky rubber of the Pilot Power 2CT to be as safe as possible on the road as I like to really lean the bike over in the corners. As usual, the longer I ride, the more I learn. Now I know I can lean the bike over almost to the edge of the tire on the Pilot Road 2CT just like the Pilot Power 2CT.

The real sticky rubber on the more expensive, shorter life tires, is really only used if you push the bike really, really, really hard. It is more for being able to brake and accelerate at high lean angles. In other words, you will most likely die if you ride that aggressively on the road all the time, or at the very least you are taking a big risk. I don't ride in that manner, so the Pilot Power 2CT only got two sets on my bike.

The Pilot Power and Pilot Road 2CT are much more reasonable street tires. I am able to corner just fine on the Pilot Road 2CT, but I am more into flowing through a corner in a very smooth manner with little to no braking on entry. Then I actually think it is fun to be able to spin up the back a little on exit. The Pilot Powers give you a little better stick, but last about 1/2 as long, so take your pick.

I have also run Dunlop Qualifiers and Bridgestone BT016s and never had a problem. The only reason I stick with the Pilot Road 2CT now is you cannot beat the tire value. The hard rubber in the center really helps the mileage and the softer sides are enough to have some fun in the corners still.