Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Lets talk tires

Old 10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk tires

Sizes I need- Front 120/70/17 Rear 150/60/17

First. Now I have no idea what are "good" tires. I am not racing not going to the track. Merely for riding and daily driver use. It's got Metzeler's on it now which are showing signs of dry rot.

How are Avon VP2 Sport's?

Second. Locally where's the best place to buy them and have them installed. So far most places won't install tires you buy elsewhere.

Last edited by Graves; 10-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
mi speeks gud

120 or 130 on the rear? Website list the new ones at 130 and I don't think they've changed much

edit: don't see much I'm familiar with, I think fast forward may have the perellis on his triumph. I used bikebandit but get my tires from pure acceleration locally

Last edited by _Will_; 10-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

opps fixed that.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 PM

I run Avons on my old bikes. I think they are an excellent tire choice.
93 Saleen Spyder #53 H/C Novi 2000
05 Rubicon Lifted, ect
13 BMW S1000RR, 10 R1200GSA
14 Honda Grom
12 KTM690 Enduro R
Too many old bikes and mini bikes to list.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 PM
mi speeks gud

A lot of the FZR guys seem to like the Avon Storm.

I just finished with a set of the bridgestone BT016's and loved them. Check on your stock tire size, if the newer ones have a 130 and someone may have upgraded to a larger size adding to the appearance but also the rotating mass of your tire.

I think the BT016 would be good since you're newer to riding and exploring your limits (I recall you mentioning you wanting a bigger bike already, you're riding style will likely change as your comfort grows)

Also since you're new to riding BE CAREFUL ON NEW TIRES, they're slick as hell from coming out of the molds and you won't want to test their limits right away. More than a few riders have gone down doing just that. Most people say the first 100 miles on a new set, it's matched about how long it takes to get a nice even wear across the tire.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

Yeah bumping up two sizes in the rear and one in the front. From everything that I read said it's a good upgrade for handling and opens your tire choices.

I am goign to swing by St Pete Powersports and get a few prices. I'd buy them online but most places want $45-55 a tire to install if you don't buy from them.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM
mi speeks gud

It doesn't improve handling so much as appearance. My bike comes stock with a 140 rear and a 110 front and I just went down to 150 rear from a 160 because I liked the handling of the 150 better. I run a 120 on the front because it feels smoother on the highway which is a benefit of the additional mass but it adds weight the motor has to overcome. Make sure a 150 fits and people have done it to your bike specifically, go too large and you're going to run into problems with either your rim being too small or something rubbing.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

yeah 150 is the max with out cutting or grinding anything.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 AM

Tires are completely dependent upon your riding style. You stated no track days, but didn't really say how you ride street. In any case, I have never had a problem with the Michelin line up. It goes like this:

1) Aggressive Riding - Pilot Power 2CT (dual compound with very sticky edges)
2) Sport Riding - Pilot Power (dual compound with a little less sticky edges to improve wear)
3) Sport/Sport Touring - Pilot Road 2CT (dual compound with hard center for wear and same sticky edges as the Pilot Power)

I used to think I needed the sticky rubber of the Pilot Power 2CT to be as safe as possible on the road as I like to really lean the bike over in the corners. As usual, the longer I ride, the more I learn. Now I know I can lean the bike over almost to the edge of the tire on the Pilot Road 2CT just like the Pilot Power 2CT.

The real sticky rubber on the more expensive, shorter life tires, is really only used if you push the bike really, really, really hard. It is more for being able to brake and accelerate at high lean angles. In other words, you will most likely die if you ride that aggressively on the road all the time, or at the very least you are taking a big risk. I don't ride in that manner, so the Pilot Power 2CT only got two sets on my bike.

The Pilot Power and Pilot Road 2CT are much more reasonable street tires. I am able to corner just fine on the Pilot Road 2CT, but I am more into flowing through a corner in a very smooth manner with little to no braking on entry. Then I actually think it is fun to be able to spin up the back a little on exit. The Pilot Powers give you a little better stick, but last about 1/2 as long, so take your pick.

I have also run Dunlop Qualifiers and Bridgestone BT016s and never had a problem. The only reason I stick with the Pilot Road 2CT now is you cannot beat the tire value. The hard rubber in the center really helps the mileage and the softer sides are enough to have some fun in the corners still.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 AM

By the way, keep in mind we live in Tampa, where corners are extremely rare, and good corners are all but non existent. Even if all I do is hit the "twisties" in the Northern counties, I am still riding about 95% in a straight line. That means no matter how much you love to corner, you really need as hard rubber as possible in the middle of the tire to keep from throwing away 70% of the edge rubber. Hence the attraction to Pilot Road 2CT. I still end up throwing away a LOT of edge rubber, but at least I am getting two to three times the mileage out of the center before I do it now!