View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Swifster
WHO? ME?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Loyalty - Local or Price?

As the Daytona is going to be a hot rod, I knew I was going to assemble the engine and it's accessories with ARP engine fasteners. I went to the local parts place (Automotive Engineering in Tampa). The cost for just the bolts and washers (10, both in 5 packs) was $26. OK, this was something I expected. But then I was advised that there would be 'frieght' charges. How big a box are they senting??? I was then told that this cost could be up to $20-$25!!! I left a $26 deposit and left.

After I left I decided to see what Summit wanted for the same parts. Each 5 pack was $11.39 each. They had one pack in stock and would have to order the other. They charge $9.95 'handling fee' on sales under $100 and $11.95 for over $100.

OK, so the first thing I've learned to is figure out what fasteners I need for the 289 and order everything together. But here's my dilema; I like to support local suppliers when I can. Speed shops are becoming endangered and I don't mind spending a small premium to help keep places like this in business. But if the shipping difference is $15 (and this doesn't include the 7% sales tax and the 20 mile drive), when do you go to the big guy? At what amount does price matter.

Obviously we all make these decisions everyday. Do you shop at local grocery stores or Walmart?

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Cost to Date: $2125.60