General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Parts Loyalty - Local or Price?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM
WHO? ME?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Loyalty - Local or Price?

As the Daytona is going to be a hot rod, I knew I was going to assemble the engine and it's accessories with ARP engine fasteners. I went to the local parts place (Automotive Engineering in Tampa). The cost for just the bolts and washers (10, both in 5 packs) was $26. OK, this was something I expected. But then I was advised that there would be 'frieght' charges. How big a box are they senting??? I was then told that this cost could be up to $20-$25!!! I left a $26 deposit and left.

After I left I decided to see what Summit wanted for the same parts. Each 5 pack was $11.39 each. They had one pack in stock and would have to order the other. They charge $9.95 'handling fee' on sales under $100 and $11.95 for over $100.

OK, so the first thing I've learned to is figure out what fasteners I need for the 289 and order everything together. But here's my dilema; I like to support local suppliers when I can. Speed shops are becoming endangered and I don't mind spending a small premium to help keep places like this in business. But if the shipping difference is $15 (and this doesn't include the 7% sales tax and the 20 mile drive), when do you go to the big guy? At what amount does price matter.

Obviously we all make these decisions everyday. Do you shop at local grocery stores or Walmart?

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Cost to Date: $2125.60
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM

I look out for no one but myself. That guy at the local shop doesnt care if I lose my job, why should I care about his?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
WHO? ME?

Originally Posted by corey r.
I look out for no one but myself. That guy at the local shop doesnt care if I lose my job, why should I care about his?
The pricing at many local places are cheaper. And when they are gone, the big places have no incentive to keep prices down. It also keeps competition in play (keeping prices down). Service is usually better locally and if the place is any good (regardless of the business), they'll usually keep an eye out for you or things you like.

I'd rather see my money stay in the Tampa/Lakeland area than in Georgia. In the big picture it helps the local economy. The same principle applies when you buy a new Jap POS vs an American car like your Camaro. I'd rather see the money I spent stay in the US/Canada than going to Asia. We are going from a manufacturing nation to a service nation. When we invent things like the TV, the computer, steel, etc., and we give up making them (and the jobs that go with them), we get cheap crap from Japan, Korea and China. Where do you prefer to have your tools made?

I didn't mean to make this a big economic debate.

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Official Photo Ninja

I check with local vendors. but most of my parts come from California. I deal with one shop that gives me good deals.

And most of the time.

A) Local shops didnt carry the parts I wanted/needed
B) were over priced.

And anyway why would there be Freight on bolts and washers? They cant be THAT big.
I could understand Freight for a head or block but bolts...someone is making a cut under the table.

Official Photographer of Festivals of Speed St. Pete, Orlando, & Miami.

Canon 7D..Stepped up my Game
Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Race Photographer

AE will usually price match at times

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

I just ordered the first part I have ever purchased from a local shop last week. I ordered an exhaust through a local racing shop. It was as much an economic decision as anything else- when you factored in shipping they came out cheaper than the first few internet guys I checked, even after FL sales tax. They had a car in with the exhaust I wanted and being able to see and hear it in person was a huge part of my decision to buy it. I also liked the idea of buying something from them as a sort of a personal justification for going in there and asking a few questions on the rare occasions I think a shop will have a better answer than a forum. These places aren't a charity run to give free advice; I won't feel nearly as guilty about popping in to ask a few questions in the future.

I never got into the local shop thing because my last car was a DSM and there wasn't really a good local shop catering to that market. Most places I went in they'd never dealt with a DSM before and I knew more about the car than anybody there. I once had a long conversation about basic DSM tuning principles with a shop owner and I swear the guy was about to throw me a job offer to handle DSM stuff for him, except that I lived on the other side of the bay and I have absolutely no interest in working on cars for a living.

It almost seems like there is no reason to deal with shops a lot of the time other than having someplace to go when you're bored to check out the cars in for work and BS with the guys there for a few minutes. I don't know how many times I've needed one little gasket or flange or similar small part, and every shop in town said "we'll have to order it in, it'll be a week" and would've cost more than ordering from the guy online who could get it to me in three days. I understand the risks of carrying too much stock in a small business setting, but jeeze- there wasn't a single shop with a T3 gasket in stock in Tampa when I needed one a while back. I felt like I was living in some rural backwater 200 miles from civilization. The #1 thing I'd do if I owned a shop is stock up on a supply of basic parts like that, stuff people might need right away and would be willing to pay a large premium for. Buy the things 100 at a time for $2, sell them for 10 bucks even- there are people who need it now and would gladly pay. I can think of dozens of things like that and it never fails that you end up having to wait three days for it to get shipped in.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Race Photographer

I wish we had a summit in Tampa. Thats the one thing I truly wish there was for racing. I dont need a shop to install it. I just want a shop that has fuck loads of parts and fuck loads of them in stock. AE is decent, but its a lot of SBC stuff with some 5.0 mustang stuff and import stuff mixed around.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 03-29-2008, 06:34 AM
WHO? ME?

The reason I like to help out local guys is that I've been down this road before. There was a chain of stores in the Detroit when I was a bit younger called Ramchargers. These stores were very similar to AE. Since Jegs and Summit showed up, the place went out of business. A smaller business, Detroit Engineering, bought their stock, and after 7-8 years, they are down to one store.

Yes, I have an American car, but I'm sure the guy at the counter at AE could tell you more about DSM's than Studebakers. But I do try to be prepared when I go into the store. I have the supplier's name, part number, etc. Nothing I buy will be 'off the shelf' stuff. I think our local speed shops perform a necessary service, but I just don't want to feel 'bent over' when I buy from them. Other than small stuff, I haven't had a lot of experience with them.